Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Planning a Trip to the Blue Ridge area 09/6 to 09/10
The A-man Offline
Running Like a Top

North Carolina
RE: Planning a Trip to the Blue Ridge area 09/6 to 09/10
Hi mister, I live about 25 miles east of Little Switzerland, on a lake in the foothills. You've already got a pretty good list of roads, but I'd suggest adding 221 from Linville to Blowing Rock - it passes below the Linville Viaduct on the BRP. As far as traffic on 226A ("the Diamondback"), I've never seen more than a car or two -- not at all as crowded as The Dragon seems to be. Depending on what you're looking for, there are several nice stops with short hikes and great scenery (like Linville Falls). A few OK lunch stops, mainly at Mt Mitchell, Little Switzerland, and Blowing Rock.

I'll follow your posts, and try and meet up with you all for a ride when you get here! Hopefully, Houtman can join in also. I've only lived here for about 2.5 years now, but have found lots of great bike riding, and will be happy to share suggestions.

2014 CB1100 DLX s/n 166
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2018 07:35 AM by The A-man.)
04-17-2018 07:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
misterprofessionality Online
Road Warrior

Charleston, SC, USA
That does look like a pretty gnarly road...my first impression of it is that it will be too far off base for the wife (it's the return trip that kills you, you know). I feel like there's so many great roads up there, you could live in the area for years and not find all of them. There's got to be a different twisty for you to go play in ever weekend. Asheville has in good roads what Charleston has in good food.

if we can work anything out at the time, i'm down for it.
04-17-2018 08:22 AM
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
When I rode the BRP in '08 I went to some tourist website (perhaps BRP specific, I can't recall) and they mailed me a whole package about the BRP and surrounding area complete with maps and brochures.

It really came in handy.
04-17-2018 09:20 AM
Road Warrior

Charleston, SC, USA
hot tip w/r! i found it. got some materials on the way for asheville and all adjacent counties. that should cover the kind of distance we're looking to range.
04-17-2018 09:42 AM
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
Mister , our daughter and family live on Johns Island , are you anywhere near that area ?
04-17-2018 01:50 PM
Road Warrior

Charleston, SC, USA
I know that area well. I work in Mount Pleasant and live in North Charleston. I have projects all over that area.
04-17-2018 04:44 PM
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
(04-17-2018 09:42 AM)misterprofessionality Wrote:  hot tip w/r! i found it. got some materials on the way for asheville and all adjacent counties. that should cover the kind of distance we're looking to range.

AwesomeClap, glad I could be of some help.
04-17-2018 06:43 PM
SCCBrider Offline
Running Like a Top

South Carolina
(04-16-2018 01:40 PM)misterprofessionality Wrote:  As the title says, i'm riding up to stay in Asheville to explore the Blue Ridge area during the month of September. I used to live in Asheville, so I know my way around fairly well, but that was when I was a kid and there were no bikes in my life. I'm looking to take a number of rides along the parkway and some famous roads, along with hitting tourist spots for me and my wife to enjoy.

I'm just putting this here so that if anybody is in the area and wants to make plans to ride, I'm open to suggestions. The only things I'm scheduling for certain are a ride or two down 226A and 80, as well as hikes up Pisgah and Mitchell.

See you in the mountains! The ferret

Hey there, I'd be glad to meet you there, or even head that way with you. I also live in Charleston.
Ken

(04-16-2018 01:52 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  My group will be in the area about 3 weeks after that. Otherwise, we could meet up one for a day ride. Even if you are familiar with the area, you may want to buy some maps from https://americaridesmaps.com/ . They have proven very useful to me in planning routes. Too bad about the timing.

When and where are you guys going to be going? I might have to join you guys. Love it up there that time of year.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2018 06:39 PM by SCCBrider.)
04-18-2018 06:36 PM
Road Warrior

Charleston, SC, USA
Holy CycleBikes, looks like this is turning into a thing.

So far the wife and I have planned for Mt. Pisgah, some riding on the BRP and surrounding roads, and horseback riding on 09/7, Asheville town sightseeing and some maybe some light riding on 9/8 and lots of riding around Little Switzerland and Mt. Mitchell on 9/9. At first glance it looks like 9/9 is the day to meet up with folks that are already in town.

P.S.: CycleBike is what CB stands for. I'm making that a thing.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2018 09:40 PM by misterprofessionality.)
04-18-2018 09:39 PM
Road Warrior

Charleston, SC, USA
reviving this dusty old thread for an update.

Having gotten closer to this trip and planned things out more carefully, i believe I have one day where I will be able to meet up with anybody in the area for some dedicated road bending. This would be Sunday 9/9 according to current plans.

The current plan is to take the BRP from Asheville to Little Switzerland, take a short break, then loop the Diamondback perhaps as many as 3 times. another short break/snack session will follow. Next up, We will split down 226 to 221 and pick up 80 at the bottom, then ride it all the way up to 19E, where we will ride over to 197. 197 will take us over 26, where will will return to Asheville to get set up for dinner. I suspect we can run all these roads between 10 AM and 6 PM being optimistic. My wife will be following in her Mini and enjoying it's "sport" mode for the duration.

If anybody is interested in coming out for any part of this, or if anybody has any route/schedule change suggestions to make everything gel a little better, let me know!

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 07-30-2018 07:43 AM by misterprofessionality.)
07-30-2018 07:42 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
And … ?Cormanus — 03:07 PM
Todays weather
The weather was good, but it was cool an . . .peterbaron — 03:06 PM
Todays weather