Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Break pads.....just in time....so eaaaaaasy!!!!!!
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Break pads.....just in time....so eaaaaaasy!!!!!!
I'm on my third set of pads, 1st set lasted 19,102. Second set lasted 17,807 but they would have gone more, I needed new tires so just replaced the pads while I was in there. I use both brakes equally so replace them in pairs like the tires.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
04-11-2018 07:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
If you spend most of your time riding where there are stop signs and stop lights you will use up your brake pads a lot quicker than if you ride out in the country with few stops, or ride across the country on the expressway where you only use your brakes a couple times a day. I have ridden hundreds of miles without ever touching the brakes, and have ridden where you are stopping every few hundred yards it seems. One is harder on the brakes than the other.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
04-11-2018 08:27 AM
jdvalero Offline
1st Service Completed

Raleigh
(04-11-2018 07:11 AM)pdedse Wrote:  jdvalero, not to sound condescending or anything like that, but could it be your foot is resting on the brake pedal causing your rear brake to wear out substantially sooner than what others experience? I ask because several members have commented on the tight spacing down there and the way the foot peg is set, it's easy for the left edge of the front of the boot to depress the pedal without the rider realizing it. When I first got my CB, I had just read of that on the forums here and more than once when I looked down I noticed that my boot was indeed half on the brake pedal and I didn't even know it.
Not condescending at all...good question. Answer is no. I have the (bad or good) habit of getting my right toes on the peg the soonest I start to move.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

(04-11-2018 08:27 AM)The ferret Wrote:  If you spend most of your time riding where there are stop signs and stop lights you will use up your brake pads a lot quicker than if you ride out in the country with few stops, or ride across the country on the expressway where you only use your brakes a couple times a day. I have ridden hundreds of miles without ever touching the brakes, and have ridden where you are stopping every few hundred yards it seems. One is harder on the brakes than the other.
That must be it. I'm mostly in downtown traffic...but I still feel cheated out on 10k breaking distance. Dang it!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
(This post was last modified: 04-11-2018 02:51 PM by jdvalero.)
04-11-2018 02:47 PM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
(04-11-2018 08:27 AM)The ferret Wrote:  If you spend most of your time riding where there are stop signs and stop lights you will use up your brake pads a lot quicker than if you ride out in the country with few stops, or ride across the country on the expressway where you only use your brakes a couple times a day. I have ridden hundreds of miles without ever touching the brakes, and have ridden where you are stopping every few hundred yards it seems. One is harder on the brakes than the other.

Living in a rural setting is the difference on brake wear. My commute to work before retirement was 30 miles one way and included 4 stop signs and zero traffic lights. Going on 16,000 miles on my CB and the pads still look good. My Nissan PU went 97,000 miles on the front pads when I changed them and the OE's still had some life left. The rears have 115,000 and are original. When I lived in the city I felt lucky to get 20,000 on a set.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
04-13-2018 04:41 AM
Jeya Offline
Break-In Period

Singapore
Sorry if im hijacking your thread. I had a look at my front calipers on my RS and i realise there are no retaining pins holding the pads in place. Does anyone have experience in calipers that are designed this way? Looks like the pads are held in place by a clip instead.
04-17-2018 08:05 AM
SeaTown Rider Offline
New To The Forum

Seattle
I just replaced my rear break pads for the first time. I’ve never really inspected that area before and upon hooking everything back up the whole mounting break component that houses the pads and caliper seems to move ever so slightly when I apply the break. Is it normal for this to move? I figured it was since there are rubber buffers between the two mounting bolts. Any info would be awesome.
08-11-2018 06:51 PM
peterbaron Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

ON, Canada
My sold 2013 ABS, passed 53000 km and still good for 5-8 K, if I continued riding it.
Conditions: mostly long distance/hwy ridden, gear down to much speed, final meter (3.3 feet), I use rear mostly for smooth stop.

(04-09-2018 07:23 PM)jdvalero Wrote:  I give it half a moustache on the 1-5 difficulty Beard scale.
You only need a 12mm and a 8mm socket or wrench.

Jdvalero,
...half of moustache of length or thickness on the 1-5 difficulty Beard scale ???. Smile

"Drop a gear and disappear"®
'14 CB1100 DLX-#170 ® 26K kms (FOX - pleasure horse)
'14 CB1100/ABS ® 114K kms (MYSHOL - white draft horse)
'13 CB1100/c-ABS - 56K kms - sold
*Grand Chancellor*
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2018 04:46 PM by peterbaron.)
08-12-2018 04:32 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Tire Options for our CB1100
I literally, yesterday, put on a T32. br . . .m in sc — 07:52 AM
2021 Guzzi V7 Special
TooSlo, you really dig in this forum t . . .TooSlo — 07:17 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100