• 1 Votes - 5 Average
usb/cell phone charger setups.. ?
Olyrider Offline
Running Like a Top

Pacific NorthWet
RE: usb/cell phone charger setups.. ?
This might be the next thing I put on my CB1100:

http://drzrider.com/store/MD7-universal-...p103497308

Low profile, with both a ram ball for my phone mount, and power for the charging cable.

And...here's a very cool USB plug to stick in it that also has a voltage display! Two birds with one stone...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WW...UTF8&psc=1

Olyrider

Ob-la-di...Ob-la-da
(This post was last modified: 04-10-2018 09:42 PM by Olyrider.)
04-10-2018 09:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
el duque Offline
1st Service Completed

Seattle
hey Chandler,
received parts today.
Did you have to remove the tank to run the wire under it? Looks tight under there. I don't see how on first glance how to do it easily as in not removing the tank.

[font=Tahoma][color=#0000CD]It is what it is.[/color][/font]

2014 DLX[align=left][/align]
1978 naked GL 1000 (goldwing)
04-12-2018 09:56 PM
chandler Offline
1st Service Completed

Atlanta, GA
usb/cell phone charger setups.. ?
(04-12-2018 09:56 PM)el duque Wrote:  hey Chandler,
received parts today.
Did you have to remove the tank to run the wire under it? Looks tight under there. I don't see how on first glance how to do it easily as in not removing the tank.

I didn’t remove the tank. I just loosened the bolt and lifted it to get the cord passed. I used a long rod and taped the cord to it. Then, I just slid it back from the handle bars toward the tank. When I got close enough, I just loosened the tank and fished it out.

2013 Honda CB1100

2013 CB1100
04-13-2018 09:55 AM
el duque Offline
1st Service Completed

Seattle
thanks.

I was thinking how I could do it without the tank being removed.

that did cross my mind, but I like to double ck.

onward.

[font=Tahoma][color=#0000CD]It is what it is.[/color][/font]

2014 DLX[align=left][/align]
1978 naked GL 1000 (goldwing)
04-13-2018 03:50 PM
emullick Offline
1st Service Completed

Beaumont California
(04-09-2018 05:45 PM)popgun Wrote:  You have any number of options depending on what kind of connector you want. There is an accessory connector in the headlight shell you can use for switched power (there is also one in the battery area). Or you can wire directly to the battery.

You can get Powerlet outlets or a 2 wire SAE connector like chargers use, or a cigarette type outlet. And then a USB or whatever adapter.

As an example on my ST1300 I have a Powerlet outlet and adapters for a few different things. On my CB I have a 2 wire SAE connector plugged into the headlight shell accessory connector and adapters for that too. The example posted above would work on my CB.

Be aware that unless you buy the connector, pins, and a crimping tool you will either have to tap the wires or dike the connector and splice onto the wires of the accessory connector.
I am installing a cell phone and want to power it from the headlight accessory connector. What connector is the least trouble to use, you mention a "2 wire SAE". What is that and where can I get one?
04-17-2019 05:56 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
You can buy them at any auto parts store, or I think Home Depot or Lowes and Walmart. Here is an amazon link that shows what they look like: https://www.amazon.com/WGCD-Power-Automo...184&sr=8-9

If you type SAE connector in the amazon search box a wide variety of them show up, not just the connector with unterminated wires.

Green is ground on our bikes so you will connect green to the black SAE wire and the other wire to the Red wire. Once you have the connector installed you can buy a number of accessories or adapters that will plug into it. Right now I have a voltage monitor plugged into mine. This one: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-08...146&sr=8-3

Or here is a USB adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-08...32&sr=8-17

Powerlet connectors and accessories are really nice, but cost more and aren’t as available. Easy to get online. Wiring is easy as it’s still only 2 wires. I have it on my ST1300 as the original owner installed Helibar risers with the Powerlet and Ram ball option. So I have various adapters for that. Otherwise I would have installed an SAE connector and called it a day Smile

Disclaimer: Although Green is ground on our bikes, there is always the possibility of a factory wiring error. Some 2014 models are wired wrong in the tail light circuit, for example. ALWAYS check the wiring with a meter to insure proper wiring.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
(This post was last modified: 04-17-2019 06:49 PM by Lord Popgun.)
04-17-2019 06:27 PM
emullick Offline
1st Service Completed

Beaumont California
(04-17-2019 06:27 PM)popgun Wrote:  You can buy them at any auto parts store, or I think Home Depot or Lowes and Walmart. Here is an amazon link that shows what they look like: https://www.amazon.com/WGCD-Power-Automo...184&sr=8-9

If you type SAE connector in the amazon search box a wide variety of them show up, not just the connector with unterminated wires.

Green is ground on our bikes so you will connect green to the black SAE wire and the other wire to the Red wire. Once you have the connector installed you can buy a number of accessories or adapters that will plug into it. Right now I have a voltage monitor plugged into mine. This one: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-08...146&sr=8-3

Or here is a USB adapter: https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-08...32&sr=8-17

Powerlet connectors and accessories are really nice, but cost more and aren’t as available. Easy to get online. Wiring is easy as it’s still only 2 wires. I have it on my ST1300 as the original owner installed Helibar risers with the Powerlet and Ram ball option. So I have various adapters for that. Otherwise I would have installed an SAE connector and called it a day Smile

Disclaimer: Although Green is ground on our bikes, there is always the possibility of a factory wiring error. Some 2014 models are wired wrong in the tail light circuit, for example. ALWAYS check the wiring with a meter to insure proper wiring.

I decided to solder the cell phone mount/charger wires directly to the auxiliary wires in the headlamp, not much room in there for connectors. Discarded the original female connector. Green is ground, black is positive.
04-22-2019 07:34 PM
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Thumbs Up

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
04-23-2019 02:27 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM
The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake an...
I’m sure contemporary rollers have som . . .Cormanus — 02:53 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,751

Full Statistics

>