Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Major changes coming to the CB1100 Forum due to impacts of the EU GDPR
postoak Offline
Running Like a Top

The Woodlands, Texas
RE: Major changes coming to the CB1100 Forum due to impacts of the EU GDPR
Yeah, it seems the compromise would be to grandfather in all websites that are "static" and were built before some cut-off date. But that would be too sensible, I guess.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
Candy Red
07-31-2018 05:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
This discussion is a melange of two topics.

One is the European union's "General Data Protection Regulation", the other is Google's (and some others') effort to force SSL protocol on all web servers, regardless of the content and purpose of the material published.

In its totality, GDPR is a move for the better, especially in our contemporary culture, where the wast majority of Internet users have little or no understanding of the ill-effects of their personal data being under unrestricted control of governments and large corporations.

However, the efforts to force SSL protocols on all internet publishing is a retrograde move, whose main motivation is to minimize or make outright impossible anonymous web publishing.

When it comes to sites such as this one, the two topics overlap, albeit to a small extent. If, indeed, things such as credit card account particulars are trafficked between the client and the server, selective and isolated application of SSL protocol, imperfect as it is, is better than nothing. Note however that forcing SSL use when the only information served is public must have some ulterior motive, and must therefore be at least questioned, if not outright rejected.

Now back to motorcycling... Smile
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2018 11:07 AM by rotor.)
08-02-2018 11:07 AM
rbike Offline
Running Like a Top

Florida
Guth:

I own my own business website and it is not secure because I do not do any transactional business on it due to the rampant Fraud I would be exposed to.

As you probably should know, the cost for a non-secure website is not expensive $4-8 per month and a secure one with the https is $14/mm and discounts are available at times.

If you decide to provide a secure website, it is really no big deal, PM me. You can have the forum just the same as it is, but it will have a secure sign on vs a generic sign on. Aside from the "S" in the URL, no one will notice any changes.

[i]Now:[/i] '13 CB1100-W/S, Eng Guards, Grips, Omni Cruise, Rear Rack, Plug 4 Bat Charge, RLETS, '16 PCX150
[i]In-Work:[/i] Sprockets, Redo Tank
[i]Still-To-Do:[/i] Life, ...
Prior: '60s Honda 50 or 90, '70s CB450, '80s Clueless, '90s-00s CB750 Nighthawk
04-27-2019 09:02 AM
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
(04-27-2019 09:02 AM)rbike Wrote:  If you decide to provide a secure website, it is really no big deal, PM me. You can have the forum just the same as it is, but it will have a secure sign on vs a generic sign on. Aside from the "S" in the URL, no one will notice any changes.
Those that have no interest in what happens beneath the surface will, indeed, notice no change. They probably don't care one way or the other.

Push to "https everywhere" is however not nearly as innocent as it might appear. Since discussion of details would definitely be "off-topic" in a motorcycle-oriented forum, I will only provide a link to someone's quick (and not nearly a complete) summary:

http://this.how/googleAndHttp/

Guth, you are my hero for resisting to be pushed...
11-03-2019 09:31 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Interesting link, rotor. Thanks.
11-04-2019 12:14 AM
rbike Offline
Running Like a Top

Florida
Oh NO!
My company's website isn't secure. Everybody Run - NOT.

My business website is actually a 150+ page free book for the marine community. Everything there is free to read. After reading, emails and phone calls later sales do develop from the one's that read. The others are looking for a free repair without paying for a service technician - I still try to help them, but usually they are too far gone to assist due to their poor habits.

I do not have a store there - I would be inundated with fraudulent credit cards. I get a dozen or so emails daily asking me to ship $100,000 worth of items daily to Australia using their wonderful US VISA, MC, Discover, Am Ex, ....credit card. Pick one! An httpS store front would not help and contrary to what many may think the credit card companies hold the seller 100% responsible no matter how many green lights your machine displays or not!

BTW, the reason for the change is that the leading "www.http//" or "www.https//" is no longer displayed in the URL- instead they say secure or not secure - how efficient dumbing down.

Continue on as I said last year - as I am.
Great website!

[i]Now:[/i] '13 CB1100-W/S, Eng Guards, Grips, Omni Cruise, Rear Rack, Plug 4 Bat Charge, RLETS, '16 PCX150
[i]In-Work:[/i] Sprockets, Redo Tank
[i]Still-To-Do:[/i] Life, ...
Prior: '60s Honda 50 or 90, '70s CB450, '80s Clueless, '90s-00s CB750 Nighthawk
(This post was last modified: 11-22-2019 02:05 PM by rbike.)
11-22-2019 02:00 PM
QimmiQ Offline
1st Service Completed

Canada
To be honest, I stopped reading the posts on this topic. I work in IT and web development at a Canadian university. We force SSL certificates on all of our sites and web presences.

I don't understand the backlash against moving to HTTPS and obtaining an SSL certificate site. It is the right thing to do. It is just solid safe computing and something we should be doing regardless of GDPR, and even if we weren't collecting personal data. Any web host worth its salt can provide SSL certs for you and they are dirt cheap through GoDaddy or NameCheap. Most will bundle it with a hosting package.

However, don't conflate SSL with a secure site. Poorly patched web sites and applications like My BB, which powers this site, or improperly stored personal information is still vulnerable to intrusion.
11-22-2019 04:02 PM
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
(11-22-2019 04:02 PM)QimmiQ Wrote:  To be honest, I stopped reading the posts on this topic. I work in IT and web development at a Canadian university. We force SSL certificates on all of our sites and web presences.

I don't understand the backlash against moving to HTTPS and obtaining an SSL certificate site. It is the right thing to do. ..
I have no problem whatsoever with your (or your organization's) decision to deal with third parties of questionable honesty and motivation [*] when publishing material on the web. I do have a problem with all those that would force such modus operandi on web publishers that see no good reason to subscibe to it (cf. the link I provided above).

[*] From our domestic context: a lot of hay is being made these days about the Huawei's presumed threat to the internet security, yet China's National Internet Administration certificate is present in the root trust store of the browser I'm writing this post in (and millions of others!), perfectly capable to subvert the security of all https pages that I visit, including this site if it ever decides to take out the certificate from any agency.
11-24-2019 01:08 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
I am liking the drama of this thread, Mr . . .GoldOxide — 12:50 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on bac . . .GoldOxide — 12:47 PM
Looking back at your offer, that is very . . .Gone in 60 — 11:59 AM
The same bike not even broken in with . . .m in sc — 11:53 AM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
Chilly but sunny day and another 87 mile . . .peterbaron — 11:51 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
:clap:peterbaron — 11:50 AM
The same bike not even broken in with 1, . . .Ollie — 11:46 AM
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,518
» Latest member: JoshuaER
» Forum threads: 15,974