Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cycle Gear Stores
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
RE: Cycle Gear Stores
I visit the local Cycle Gear store every now and then. Usually when I need something right away, or if I'm buying something I want to try on first.

I've always bought my helmets there just so I could wear them for awhile and ensure a good fit. They carry a lot of helmet brands and sizes in the store. My current helmet is one of Cycle Gear's house brands (Bilt). It's my second one and while it's not the most luxurious helmet you can buy, it's very comfortable and it was priced right.

I see them sort of like a Walmart of motorcycle gear. You can find what you need, but don't expect Saks Fifth Avenue quality.

I don't buy a lot of stuff there, but when I need a generic part, tool or piece of gear right away it's easy to just drop by the store.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
02-28-2018 09:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SportsterDoc Offline
High Mileage

New Mexico
Cycle gear has a great sale on their Freeze-Out thermals.
Bought one or two Bilt tailbags. Decent quality for the $.
Have not otherwise bought much there (although only ~10 miles from home).
Their return policy is outstanding.

Had a rear tire for my Triumph mounted there (wheel off the bike).
Friendly, competitively priced, but balance was not well done.

Lot to be said for trying on a helmet, before purchase.

Got several great jacket deals from Iron Pony on-line.

23 Guzzi V7 SE 23 Yam XT250
18 Yam Bolt 22 Triumph St Twin 20 CanAm Ryker
14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 Guzzi V7II
17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S
03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360
70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2
70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160
67 Honda CB16062 Honda CA110
02-28-2018 10:24 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
There is a Cycle Gear store located about 10 minutes away from me. Back when I first started going there they carried a much larger variety of brands. Now there are few fewer choices as most of their inventory consists of their house brand stuff. I much preferred the previous business model. But I have purchased a number of things from them over the years including my last two helmets. No one gives me any grief when I walk around for 10+ minutes with one of their helmets on my head to check for hot spots and that's worth a lot to me. Basically, if they have what I want and they let me try it on and it fits & is comfortable, then I'll buy it. Over the years I've also purchased a few maintenance related items and moto-specific tools from them as well.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
03-01-2018 12:00 AM
Desert viper Offline
Running Like a Top

Palm Springs, Ca. USA
Their house brand is BILT......I have bought their jackets, gloves, hot weather vest, and their thermals with great results. Their helmets are a different story....way too much wind noise.
03-01-2018 01:28 AM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Cycle Gear Stores
I’ve not had good luck with their house brand products- Bilt and Seidici. They are cheap but not good value. And the 3 or 4 CG stores I’ve been I have been pretty messy places with inattentive service. But you can get other brands there and I abide by any place that actually serves the motorcycle market.

I was concerned when they bought Revzilla, which is one of the great online retailers of any stripe...I buy from them regularly. But they seem to be operating separately for the most part, and CG hasn’t degraded the Revzilla experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
03-01-2018 06:41 AM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
I walked into the San Diego location about twenty years ago, didn't see anything resembling decent quality, and walked out. I've not been back since.

We have a very large motorcycle accessory superstore in the Denver area that only carries top name brands, and the prices are extremely reasonable. They also have a huge tire selection and will mount tires (off the bike) for $20, regardless of where you bought it. Ferret, I was hoping to take you and Offroad there when you were out here last summer, but all that riding got in the way.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
03-01-2018 12:06 PM
Vic Offline
1st Service Completed

Indiana, USA
(02-28-2018 09:31 PM)jodytek Wrote:  The staff are all riders. Pretty low key, glad to help with advice, but not sales pushy. Cycle Gear is alright in my book.
your experience sounds like how the store in Indianapolis is. Good selection of product the staff are riders, one rides\drives a slingshot. I've bought a tank bag, some chain lube and some reflectors. Tried on helmets but didn't buy one from them. It's a nice store but not a destination really.

2014 CB1100 Standard
03-01-2018 05:49 PM
SCCBrider Offline
Running Like a Top

South Carolina
I use to work at the one here in Charleston. It's not a bad place, but you can find things cheaper on line. However, it is a good place to try things on before you get it on line. I recently bought a pair of riding gloves there (store brand), and I like them. Actually I like them more than a pair of Alpinstars that I last bought. Those ripped really easily in the palm. They will also price match. It's a good store, depending on what you want to buy.
03-01-2018 05:57 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
I pick up a few things from them from time to time. I have one of their helmets and even use it from time to time (I rotate among three - it's a long story). I prefer shopping online or a local "chain" called the Helmet Center.

It's a bit of a Kmart or Walmart, but some stuff is a good value even if not top shelf. The discount rack and sales are the things to keep an eye on.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
03-01-2018 08:40 PM
dbarkdoll Offline
Running Like a Top

Arkansas
(02-28-2018 05:59 PM)EmptySea Wrote:  One more thing...I don't know how this is all playing out, but Revzilla is owned by the same company that owns Cycle Gear. One thing I have heard is that you can get almost anything Revzilla has through Cycle Gear, but keep in mind that I have no proof of this.

This is true.

Purchased my Bell Star from Cycle Gear for $250 USD, not a bad deal at all. And I got to try it on which was a must. Also got my PR3s from there for the same price as Revzilla (jointly owned). Sales and service is hit or miss, both fellas I bought my helmet and tires from were excellent though. My store also has the added perk of being less than 5 minutes from my place. Cool
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2018 07:43 AM by dbarkdoll.)
03-03-2018 07:37 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,752

Full Statistics

>