2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-16-2018 10:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
RE: Preaching to the Choir . . .
It's the CB/mickey oeuvre rubbing off on me.
02-16-2018 10:21 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
(02-16-2018 03:22 PM)Jvanvuren Wrote:  Hondas are wonderful things, that's all there is to it. Their reputation has been earned in many fields... motorcycles, automobiles, generators, lawnmowers, weed trimmers, the list is nearly endless.

In this day and age I'm almost cynical of myself for being such a fan of the brand. Even though most of their current range of motorcycles and automobiles are a stylistic miss with me, I still marvel at the overall level of engineering Honda puts into these products and the reliability they are able to get out of them. I'm still planning to buy a Honda generator in the not too distant future. While I understand that the Yamaha generators are regarded just a well, I guess that I'm a Honda guy at heart as they won me over a long time ago. Plus like a lot of people when it comes to cars or motorcycles, I don't care all that much how a generator looks, lol.

After more than a decade of owning my '88 Hawk GT, I'll probably shed a tear when I finally get around to selling it this spring. The CB1100 inspired me to start this forum and after almost five years it has firmly entrenched itself as "my bike". The more time I spend with the S2000 the more it amazes and impresses me. For that matter the S2000 and the CB1100 both likely represent the "last of their kind" as far as Honda's production goes be it a naturally aspirated roadster or an air-cooled inline-four standard. Heck, I still look at my Honda lawnmower with admiration after 20 something years of constant abuse. Can't imagine myself ever getting so "fired up" (lol) about the e-replacement coming down the pike for all of these products. But I get it. I'm guessing that the Hawk, the CB and the S2000 will still all be running by the time gasoline is no longer available. ROFL

(02-16-2018 06:33 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  The Ferret has never ridden a 2017 and it has been out this long?

Ulv, at this point I can't even recall if you've even test ridden one yourself yet?

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
02-16-2018 10:43 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(02-16-2018 10:43 PM)Guth Wrote:  
(02-16-2018 03:22 PM)Jvanvuren Wrote:  Hondas are wonderful things, that's all there is to it. Their reputation has been earned in many fields... motorcycles, automobiles, generators, lawnmowers, weed trimmers, the list is nearly endless.

In this day and age I'm almost cynical of myself for being such a fan of the brand. Even though most of their current range of motorcycles and automobiles are a stylistic miss with me, I still marvel at the overall level of engineering Honda puts into these products and the reliability they are able to get out of them. I'm still planning to buy a Honda generator in the not too distant future. While I understand that the Yamaha generators are regarded just a well, I guess that I'm a Honda guy at heart as they won me over a long time ago. Plus like a lot of people when it comes to cars or motorcycles, I don't care all that much how a generator looks, lol.

After more than a decade of owning my '88 Hawk GT, I'll probably shed a tear when I finally get around to selling it this spring. The CB1100 inspired me to start this forum and after almost five years it has firmly entrenched itself as "my bike". The more time I spend with the S2000 the more it amazes and impresses me. For that matter the S2000 and the CB1100 both likely represent the "last of their kind" as far as Honda's production goes be it a naturally aspirated roadster or an air-cooled inline-four standard. Heck, I still look at my Honda lawnmower with admiration after 20 something years of constant abuse. Can't imagine myself ever getting so "fired up" (lol) about the e-replacement coming down the pike for all of these products. But I get it. I'm guessing that the Hawk, the CB and the S2000 will still all be running by the time gasoline is no longer available. ROFL

(02-16-2018 06:33 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  The Ferret has never ridden a 2017 and it has been out this long?

Ulv, at this point I can't even recall if you've even test ridden one yourself yet?

Just figured the moderator might have a connection or something. None available to test ride in my area. My regular dealer would surely let me, if he had one. I think the few members who have them and have commented seem pretty upbeat about the bikes, though.

(02-16-2018 10:10 PM)VLJ Wrote:  As far as I'm concerned, my CB is one and a half points from perfection. The first thing is the front brakes are still squealing a tiny bit, if I slow down just so.

That'll go away in time. My rear brake did that. Cleaning the rotors can sometimes help. I eventually replaced the pads with EBC HH and did the Galfer stainless steel lines (clutch, too). SOOOO good after. But very good before. One finger after the work was all that was needed.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2018 10:48 PM by Ulvetanna.)
02-16-2018 10:45 PM
Mscb1100 Offline
Running Like a Top

Birmingham, AL
Thanks to both of you VLJ and Mickey ,
The quick response , quality of member knowledge, riding experience and frequently hilarious quips and comebacks , as well as different philosophies are what I love about this site.
My dealer has a leftover 17 and I read on site early tonight the possibilities of discount since there are no 18’s scheduled, so I want to read the comparison article to see if I could be tempted to buy another CB.
Looking forward to meeting you Mickey this summer.
VLJ, If you can snag a airline ticket, I’m taking my 14’s V strom and cb 11 std to ride on alternating days, so you would be welcome to either one as available

Looks fast sitting still
02-16-2018 10:50 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(02-16-2018 10:17 PM)VLJ Wrote:  http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2017/08/2...ront-fork/

And here is his full ride review...

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2017/09/2...de-review/

Excellent articles.

I recall when MCD first arrived.

Dirck Edge, I calculated, was a very clever pseudonym. I still think it is but that's fine, who wants anything but anonymity on the Web these days?

The site's still around so that says a lot.
02-16-2018 10:53 PM
Mscb1100 Offline
Running Like a Top

Birmingham, AL
(02-16-2018 10:14 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Here ya go Mscb

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2017/08/2...ront-fork/

and a road test

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2017/09/2...de-review/

Thanks for the links
Seems like the 17 forks are a noticeable upgrade, but maybe not enough changes in the entire bike to justify the cost of a new model, plus I actually like looks of the 14 more than the 17.
While at the dealers tomorrow testing a new wing I’ll check on the cost for 17 forks.
It might be a reasonable cost upgrade for the suspension.

Looks fast sitting still
02-16-2018 11:21 PM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
Guth, why on earth are you going to get rid of a Hawk GT? Those things were so seriously cool, and now there's nothing else like them.

I really loved those things.

Ulvetanna, yes, I suspect that the brake squealing will eventually go away. If it doesn't, I'll have the dealer remedy it under warranty. This is the first of my twenty-five or so bikes that has had any brake squeal. It doesn't really matter much, except that it's the lone fly in the ointment of what is otherwise a functionally perfect motorcycle to me. I just want that one imperfection gone, is all.

As for steel lines and HH pads, they aren't on my radar at the moment. I immediately slapped them onto the XSR, as the stock brakes felt a bit dull to me. Not so, with this '17 EX. Squeals aside, I have no complaints. Perhaps, as you say, they could be even better, but I certainly don't need them to be better.

I'm taking her on another two-day right up the coast next Tuesday and Wednesday, and I will again hit Skaggs Spring Rd, so we'll see. I'll pay particular attention to the brakes that entire ride.
02-16-2018 11:22 PM
Wisedrum Offline
High Mileage

Germany
Though having no interest in comparing the actual CB to the earliest version other than the outlook, I prefer the 2013 model. The suspension and riding ability of this CB is really good and supplies my needs more than any other bike I've ridden or ride. In no way bouncy but firm and steady. If I compare it to the W or the RE, the ones I also posses, they may be a bit more comfortable but don't offer this feel of saturation and laying good on the streets.

Wisedrum
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2018 01:33 AM by Wisedrum.)
02-17-2018 01:32 AM
Blockhead Offline
Running Like a Top

Pittsburgh
I fell in love with my 2013 by accident while buying parts for my son’s dirt bike at a Harley/Honda dealership. It was the only one of its kind on the showroom floor and after a few months (my third trip to said dealer) I had to have it. I don’t think this forum was even up and running yet when I first saw it.

Just my biased opinion but I don’t need or want anything a newer model has to offer:

Don’t need a 6th gear because I mainly just putt in 4th gear on back roads.
Don’t need a bigger tank because I usually only ride an hour or two at a time.
Don’t need a better suspension because, as said, I just putt when I ride.
Don’t need an LED light because I don’t ride at night...I’m sure there are more examples but you get the picture.

For folks on here that have been around and maybe started on a ‘13 or ‘14 and have graduated to the newer models, I understand the desire to upgrade but I’m not one of them. For me this is the perfect bike...

Kudos to someone like Empty Sea who iron butts all over the midwest on his 2nd 2013...that really says a lot about his love for the bike and passion for defending that year’s model...impressive!

Cookiemech, nice write up, you really seem to love the bike and that’s great...enjoy! Big Grin

2013 CB1100
2008 YZ 250
2008 TW200
02-17-2018 06:13 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.
... quite true Mr. P., even long after t . . .GoldOxide — 07:10 PM