Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
The Magical Mystery Tour
Houtman Offline
Been There

NC USA
RE: The Magical Mystery Tour
Just get some adjustable ROK straps , they are in my opinion the best , safest and easiest straps to use .
I have made many types of strapping cords myself but now prefer the ROK straps.
02-09-2018 02:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Yep, rok strap fan here too. I have both the skinny ones and the fat ones. However my tail packs have bungies built in, not straps so I don't use the rok straps on my tail packs.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-09-2018 02:56 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(02-09-2018 08:34 AM)VLJ Wrote:  ... I'm not going to push this bike beyond my comfort level, either real or imagined. It's simply not that important to me to extract that last Nth of sporting performance from her. I have to keep reminding myself that I didn't buy her to go as fast as possible on Skaggs Springs Rd. I bought her in an effort to enjoy slowing down a bit. It just so happens that she's not slowing me down in the corners as much as I thought she would, at least until her tires began squirming on Skaggs.

I'm sorry to drag the hoary-old chestnut of the 'need for speed' out of the fire, but that statement, VLJ, seems to me to encapsulate the problem some of us have wrestled with reading of your journey to the CB1100.

I'll say again: I'm really pleased you like the bike and I hope it continues to give you the sort of pleasure you have just written an excellent report about. I hope to read more of them, as well as looking at the pictures.

But ... your post confirms for me a suspicion that you like to ride any bike to the limits of its and your capabilities. that led me to assume, perhaps wrongly, that your need for speed was an absolute thing; that you'll be disappointed if you're not getting along as quickly as technology will allow. So I assumed the CB was unlikely to make you happy for long because it just won't let you go as fast as your XSR. If I'm wrong—and it appears I may be—and you can continue to find pleasure in the different experiences of riding each bike as quickly as you can both manage, you're a lucky bloke. And I guess you'll slow down in some absolute way.

North of Brisbane, where I live, there's a wonderful, well made, but short, hill climb on Mt Mee. It's a dream of a stretch and used to be hoon heaven. It's now heavily speed limited and those limits are heavily policed. Legend has it that, back in the day, an old bloke had an old, upright BMW that he could ride ridiculously fast. His pleasure was following young hooligans on sports bikes up the hill and sticking to them like faecal matter to a blanket as they tried to go faster and faster and faster to get away from him. Few did and, so the tale goes, a good few fell off trying.

Please don't get on the CB and play that trick on hapless hooligans.
02-09-2018 03:13 PM
Acrobat Offline
1st Service Completed

Chios, Greece
VLJ , what can i say...only a very experienced rider with a deep sense and knowledge of engine, power train and chassis functions could described so accurate Monica.
It was like reading my thoughts after a year riding her. Not even the designers of her could put it better than you. I take off my hat to you...
I fell in love and bought this motorcycle for almost the same reasons as you (the only difference is that I just followed my heart not asking opinions ) and as you said I will never alter anything on her. This bike is a statement of what i think "real motorcycle" means.
Now about that back pain and maybe other pains ( excuse my language mistakes , I try my best to express myself in English , you know it's not my native language). I want to make a point here to you and all members here. At our age training is very important if you want to enjoy riding. I was competition swimmer all my life. I stopped swimming 3 years ago due to work and other obligations and start feeling heavy and prone to pains. After I start swimming again last year it was like being a new person again. Fitness is important if you want to enjoy riding , pain and medication free.
If you allow me, can I suggest your new assignment...?
Riding with pilion..I think you'll find her inviting and excellent once again...
I was magical..thanksClap
02-09-2018 03:48 PM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
Acrobat, thank you. I'm no Ulvetanna, and certainly no mickey, but I do know what I feel when I'm on a bike. I'm also overly cautious, which slows me down, but that's okay.

Corrmanus, I will not sour on ths bike, or grow frustrated by her slight limitations. I will back off before reaching her limits, and leave the more manic aggression for more purpose-built bikes.

Even there, however, I still don't want to push too hard anymore. My values, my basic desires, are evolving.
02-09-2018 07:50 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
But is he really $2,000 ahead? A 3 mod . . .m in sc — 03:32 AM
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM