Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Thruxton R: Owner/Rider opinions, please.
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Thruxton R: Owner/Rider opinions, please.
Ulve, one thing to make clear. In that you are a serial motorbike buyer, with ample experience, and own multiple bikes, my recommendation and endorsement of the ThruxR is solid as a rock. Earlier in the thread there was some thrust and parry over a Street Triple. If I was to own a single sporty roadster to handle the bulk of my riding needs, it very well might be a Street Triple 765 RS.

I can say that two weeks of renting a ST on the Isle of Man a few years ago was some of the most sublime motorcycling I’ve ever experienced. And the Triumph Triple in all of its forms (I currently own 4) is a magnificent engine. But the ThruxR has that something...not unlike the CB, it’s the intangibles that separate it from the ordinary. If you do go that way, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
02-06-2018 06:26 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Thruxton R: Owner/Rider opinions, please.
Capo said it best... the intangibles are what make some bikes great in spite of their spec sheets

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 06:57 PM by The ferret.)
02-06-2018 06:56 PM
rotor Offline
Running Like a Top

Western Canada
Ulvetanna, I envy you...

For you, it seems the the metaphysics of Quality of a motorcycle can be determined by a dozen or so performance parameters and a prescribed number of track laps or a couple of day excursions to some qualified stretch of a road. If the bike fails the grade, you know it is time to move on...

I newer know if the bike is what I need and what I want before I made a number of road trips which have a start point clearly distinct from the end point when viewed on a 9-inch globe. Preferably, trips that last many days, trips to foreign lands, where I have no advance knowledge what I will do in case of any mishap, either to the rider or to the machine. (not easy on this continent, but I am fortunate enough not to be confined to it...)

While our choices are similar, our respective abilities to quickly recover from a less than a perfect on are is vastly different. (Which is why I envy you... Smile
02-06-2018 07:04 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(02-06-2018 06:26 PM)Capo Wrote:  Ulve, one thing to make clear. In that you are a serial motorbike buyer, with ample experience, and own multiple bikes, my recommendation and endorsement of the ThruxR is solid as a rock. Earlier in the thread there was some thrust and parry over a Street Triple. If I was to own a single sporty roadster to handle the bulk of my riding needs, it very well might be a Street Triple 765 RS.

I can say that two weeks of renting a ST on the Isle of Man a few years ago was some of the most sublime motorcycling I’ve ever experienced. And the Triumph Triple in all of its forms (I currently own 4) is a magnificent engine. But the ThruxR has that something...not unlike the CB, it’s the intangibles that separate it from the ordinary. If you do go that way, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great stuff! You type more accurately on your phone than I do on my keyboard, btw.

I already have several naked standards, including a new Z900, so I am not looking in that area right now. I love the Triumph twins, and if the Thruxton is all that you say (I have zero reason to think differently), then it's a really uprated version of the Street Cup. I like the Street Cup, but I love performance. In a twin, I cannot think of a better direction to go than the Thruxton R.

Thanks again.

(02-06-2018 07:04 PM)rotor Wrote:  Ulvetanna, I envy you...

While our choices are similar, our respective abilities to quickly recover from a less than a perfect on are is vastly different. (Which is why I envy you... Smile

You may think you envy me now but I can promise you, you would not likely have wanted to trade places with me 50 years ago. And if you knew the limitations on travel and diet I have to observe, you'd not likely accept those either. There's a flip side to everything.

There is an old saying about walking a mile in the other guy's shoes and I try to live by that.Beer
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 07:26 PM by Ulvetanna.)
02-06-2018 07:11 PM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
"Great stuff! You type more accurately on your phone than I do on my keyboard, btw."

You know what they say...write drunk, edit sober.

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
02-07-2018 06:29 AM
dbarkdoll Offline
Running Like a Top

Arkansas
(02-07-2018 06:29 AM)Capo Wrote:  You know what they say...write drunk, edit sober.

ROFL
02-08-2018 08:13 PM
nhawk7504 Offline
Running Like a Top

Boston
I've only sat on the Thruxton and it felt ergonomically perfect for leaning forward a bit and not having the tail of the bike up in the clouds. I'd take one with a red tank. Also like the white tank. Each bike certainly is different. I've owned many sizes and makes myself. My friends asked why I didn't stick with one and it was simply because inexpensive bikes have their foibles, such as low geared 5 speed transmissions and bad suspension and seats which I did not have the money to fix at the time, so I just rode em and tried something else. I just rode the DUC Supersport and that is another Thruxton like machine. Really nice.
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2018 12:34 PM by nhawk7504.)
02-09-2018 12:34 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(02-09-2018 12:34 PM)nhawk7504 Wrote:  I've only sat on the Thruxton and it felt ergonomically perfect for leaning forward a bit and not having the tail of the bike up in the clouds. I'd take one with a red tank. Also like the white tank. Each bike certainly is different. I've owned many sizes and makes myself. My friends asked why I didn't stick with one and it was simply because inexpensive bikes have their foibles, such as low geared 5 speed transmissions and bad suspension and seats which I did not have the money to fix at the time, so I just rode em and tried something else. I just rode the DUC Supersport and that is another Thruxton like machine. Really nice.
Good stuff, thank you! Yes, I do like the red.
02-09-2018 02:57 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
And red bikes go faster. Big Grin
02-09-2018 03:54 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(02-09-2018 03:54 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  And red bikes go faster. Big Grin
I did feel that my RED 2013 CB1100 was pretty fast.

Did I mention it was RED?Big Grin
02-09-2018 07:59 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM