Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Thruxton R: Owner/Rider opinions, please.
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
RE: Thruxton R: Owner/Rider opinions, please.
Ulvetanna, for what Triumph charges for the Thruxton R, why not get a Street Triple RS instead? Not only is it far more comfortable, it's a million lbs lighter, the chassis is sharper and shorter, it has twenty-five percent more HP, even better brakes, better suspension, cleaner fueling/throttle response, and zero mechanical gremlins. More effective headlights, too, as well as much more comprehensive instruments, with the full-color TFT display.

Did I mention that it's a million lbs lighter and way more powerful, with much better handling and brakes, all while being significantly more comfortable...and it costs about $4k less?

If that doesn't sound like you, man, I don't know what does.

For that matter, the new Speed Triple R is about the same price as the Thruxton R and also curbstomps the Thruxton R in every way, while also being more comfortable. For your purposes, though, since you love light bikes and superior handling, the Street Triple RS is probably the finest comfortable sporting motorcycle offered today, by anyone.

Oh, and in that same lighter/faster/more comfortable/less expensive vein, there is also the upcoming CB1000R, should you happen to want bullet-proof Honda reliability in a liter bike I-4 flavor. Then again, you already have the Thruxton R covered in similar fashion with your Z900, although the Honda will certainly be faster and better suspended, with superior brakes.

What you don't have is a Triumph Triple, and that Street Triple RS is just about literally the perfect bike for you.
02-06-2018 09:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Well if that doesn't sound like an example of the "if you wanna _ you should have bought another bike" response, I don't know what does ROFL

see... it's all relative

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-06-2018 09:45 AM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
Hey, he wants the Thruxton R over the basic Thruxton for the R's better brakes and suspension. He wants the Thruxton over the T120 for its superior sporting performance. He tends to place a premium on light/agile/powerful/superior handling-braking. He already has a ZX-10R for track use, and a Z900 for a basic canyon ripper. If he's looking at a Thruxton R, he wants something classy, with British character and decent street-biased performance.

The Street Triple RS covers all those bases, while being better than the Thruxton R at literally everything, other than being a Thruxton. It's also much more comfortable, practical, and reliable than the Thruxton R, while costing a small fortune less. On Ulvetanna's favorite sporty roads the Street Triple RS will easily smoke just about anything, including the Thruxton R, and the ride home will be a lot nicer.

Also, no fake fins or fake anything else on the Street Triple RS.

The only two arguments I see for the Thruxton R over the Street Triple RS: 1. I want a parallel Twin 2. I want something with dual shocks that looks retro.

That's it. Even in the case of the parallel Twin argument, Triumph's Triple motor is every bit as characterful, it's much more powerful, and a whole lot faster. Chassis-wise, which is usually Ulvetanna's main area of concern/joy, there is no comparison. The Street Triple RS dances all over the Thruxton R.

What Ulvetanna ought to get is the Street Triple RS to be his canyon ripper, and a '17 CB1100EX to be his retro. He'll still have his ZX-10 for a track bike, although the Street Triple RS is every bit as good on the track as the Kawi, and probably a lot more fun. The Triumph is also as comfortable as his Z900, with far superior handling and braking, and even more power.

Yep, I'm all about spending Ulve's money, and I say he ought to ditch the Z900 while keeping the little Wolf Classic and ZX-10R, and adding the Street Triple RS and a '17 CB1100 EX.

He will never have more fun and feel more in control on a fast, sporty street ride than he will on that little Triumph ripper, plus he will have the satisfaction of stomping a mudhole in the guys on literbikes, all while tooling along in superior comfort, for much less money.

Win-win-win-win.
02-06-2018 10:21 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Trust me I understand what you were saying VLJ. I said many of the same things to you when I "perceived" you wanted something different.

BTW that would be a nice 4 bike stable. A single, a triple and a couple of I4's, maybe add a Ducati Strada something to fill the V twin slot.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-06-2018 10:33 AM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
I would just about bet that if he had a '17 CB1100 EX and a Street Triple RS he wouldn't want or need anything else. Before long, he would probably start thinking about selling both Kawis, since the Triumph covers both aspects of street and track performance while being more comfortable and just plain more fun than the Z900 and ZX-10R. He might keep the big Ninja just for top-speed shenanigans at the track, although there aren't that many tracks in his part of the world that allow for higher top speeds than the Street Triple RS can achieve.
02-06-2018 10:44 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
(02-06-2018 10:44 AM)VLJ Wrote:  I would just about bet that if he had a '17 CB1100 EX and a Street Triple RS he wouldn't want or need anything else.

He mentioned that he had 70 motorcycles over 35 years.
I think he has an itch that he just can't scratch.

2017 CB1100 EX
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 11:04 AM by Nortoon.)
02-06-2018 11:03 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(02-06-2018 10:33 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Trust me I understand what you were saying VLJ. I said many of the same things to you when I "perceived" you wanted something different.

BTW that would be a nice 4 bike stable. A single, a triple and a couple of I4's, maybe add a Ducati Strada something to fill the V twin slot.
Agreed. But I'm still waiting for any info about the reliability and long-term performance of the Thruxton. The RAT forum was of no help. There are so many 900HT bikes out there that there's plenty of info on that count, but not so many Thruxtons.

I think that engine is really built to squeeze out the last bit of power and may not be completely sorted. The bike looks very nice, but no nicer than the Street Cup, yet it feels quite top-heavy by comparison. I'm not getting a strong feeling of support like I would from most CB1100 owners.

Basically, I don't want to buy a dud and that's one bike that I could have bought the day I got my Street Cup, and for a deep discount. Took a pass on it, it just didn't resonate with me. After a year on the Street Cup, it's beginning to pique my interest, but just a little.

For the armchair psychologists out there, I am just looking for info on a motorcycle. I love bikes and love to ride. Settling on one bike or one kind of riding, or one style, is not for me. I've worked hard all my life to enjoy what I love and that's an itch I hope never abates.
02-06-2018 12:14 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Love the looks of the Thrux R with the factory fairing but am disappointed to hear of stalling issues. Early F800S/ST had the same issue. Does your seldom-ridden 700GS suffer too?

I placed a deposit on a silver Thrux R to replace my DLX but once I sat on the bike, I knew the ergos weren't going to work for me.

Sorry, I have nothing to contribute with respect to your original inquiry.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 12:34 PM by LongRanger.)
02-06-2018 12:23 PM
VLJ Offline
High Mileage

California
Ulvetanna...STREET TRIPLE RS!

If you want to get a good feeling about a bike from its very happy owners, and see uniformly rave reviews from the press, there is no more well-received bike than the Street Triple, and the RS is exactly the top-spec, no-compromise version you've always wanted. As happy as CB1100 owners and the press are with the bike, they're like Ford Fiesta reviews compared to what you will see with the Street Triple, and the RS version gives you the top-shelf everything you want.
02-06-2018 12:35 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(02-06-2018 12:23 PM)LongRanger Wrote:  Love the looks of the Thrux R with the factory fairing but am disappointed to hear of stalling issues. Early F800S/ST had the same issue. Does your seldom-ridden 700GS suffer too?

I placed a deposit on a silver Thrux R to replace my DLX but once I sat on the bike, I knew the ergos weren't going to work for me.
You know, it doesn't. That's one bike that's been very good to me. It runs beautifully. Yes, it did have two fuel tanks replaced, but I did the little venting mod, and no more cracking. No water pump weep-hole leaks either, at least not enough to worry about.

That's really a very good motorcycle but I don't do any kind of touring where that much capability would be helpful. It has the ABS, stability control, and heated grips, lots of range, smooth, but it just gets picked last of all or not at all these days.

Maybe my style will change and I should hang onto it!

Your comment about the ergonomics are good; that's why I didn't buy the Thruxton the first time I saw it. I have made some very good decisions with no test ride by just sitting on a bike on the showroom floor. One can tell a lot from that after a few decades of riding.

That's how I chose the ZX-10R; it was the oldest of the three superbikes I was looking at, the Yamaha R1 and BMW S1000R being brand-new designs in 2015. But when I sat on the Ninja and realized how well it fit me and how well-balanced the bike was, I figured I'd take a chance on it and it worked out perfectly.
02-06-2018 12:40 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
And … ? Not too much to talk a . . .peterbaron — 03:21 PM
Todays weather
Today's weather (same system as PB) was . . .GoldOxide — 03:10 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition