Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Death Valley
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
RE: Death Valley
Thanks...I'm going to figure this out. Maybe it would be appropriate to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary (2019) in Death Valley. (Note: I probably won't present it quite that way to my better half)

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
02-06-2018 07:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
ROFL good plan

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-06-2018 07:20 PM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
Getting to Death Valley (some Guzzi guys meet there end of October, first week of November) has been an exersize in heat management and several times getting beat up by the wind in Arizona. Leaving Death Valley (from Furnace Creek) I've had to get all bundled up and turn on every heating device I own. By the time I get south of Shoshone I can start dialing things back. Between Furnace Creek and Death Valley Junction I dread running across a coyote as my reaction ability sucks.

The old gal at Death Valley Junction died last year (I think it was last year). She groomed a younger gal to replace her so it will be interesting to see how it all plays out. She owned most of the town; not sure if ownership was passed on to the new blood or what. Certainly the end of an era.

I skipped last year (due to a full moon Furnace Creek filled up, apparently the place is very popular for full moon activities) and the Guzzi guys moved their hangout spot to Beatty - Beatty is not impressive. The road to Beatty even less so. Smoked filled hotels are not my idea of a fun time either.

On the north side of the park you can sometimes watch fighter jets playing war games - maybe from Edwards, or perhaps another site. It can be impressive.

For photographers, sun rise and sun set can give you incredible opportunities - highly recommended! Don't sleep in even if you don't take pictures. Smile

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
02-07-2018 08:38 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
So, if a guy were to trailer his bike out thataway from Chicago, would it make sense to spend a night in Vegas, leave the trailer there, and then ride to Death Valley? Once there, are there hotels around? This guy I'm thinking of probably would camp, but his travel companions are probably not enthusiastic about that option.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
02-07-2018 01:00 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
There are two commendable properties in Death Valley that I am aware of: The Ranch at Death Valley (fka Furnace Creek Ranch) and the Inn at Death Valley (fka Furnace Creek Inn). There are motel rooms and tent camping and RV facilities at the former, but I highly recommend the latter, especially for an anniversary. There's not much else until you leave the park's boundaries, and unless you want to trek all the way back to Las Vegas, there's nothing nearby that I can recommend. Five minutes with Google and you'll see what I mean.

Edit: there's also Stovepipe Wells Village and Panamint Springs Resort, neither of which I have experience with.

Vegas would be a fine trailer drop-off point.

Quick note: the last time I stepped foot in the Furnace Creek Inn in my leathers, I was promptly shown the door. It's really a lovely resort. If you decide to stay there, be sure to bring some decent clothes. They probably have a history with "bikers." The other place, Furnace Creek Ranch, is family oriented and will even let me stay there.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
(This post was last modified: 02-07-2018 02:22 PM by LongRanger.)
02-07-2018 02:00 PM
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
The ride out of Vegas isn’t bad at all. There are some motels in towns outside the park but everything is rather modest. Shoshone, Tecopa, Lone Pine, Panamint Springs, Beatty. Most everything is independently owned, few if any major chains. In the park I think there’s a hotel at Furnace Creek that’s pricey. No matter where you go, book rooms well in advance in the high season.

2012 Honda CBR250RA Candy Ruby Red/Silver
02-07-2018 02:04 PM
iamheero Offline
1st Service Completed

Los Angeles
I'm in LA now and have done the ride to DV on two occasions- once there and back with a few detours, that was about a 700 mile day. The next time I was coming south after a ride up to the Alabama Hills the day prior and had to stop by again, always a treat. The roads leading in are awesome in every sense of the word. I always tend to go in the dead of winter and it can be tough to dress for, although inarguably more comfortable than going in the summer. The problem is that it's about 40 degrees or less (then you have to factor in wind chill!) in the Mojave on a winter morning but DV itself will be in the 70s during the day.

I've never actually stayed in the valley overnight but I'd love to- I hear it's some of the best stargazing in the country given the clear air and lack of light pollution.

'14 CB1100 (RIP)
'17 CB1100EX
02-08-2018 11:21 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974