Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Harley-Davidson closing Kansas plant
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
RE: Harley-Davidson closing Kansas plant
(02-03-2018 11:23 AM)SportsterDoc Wrote:  
(02-03-2018 11:13 AM)Labrador12 Wrote:  I ran a 99 Sportster Sport. I enjoyed the torque, but didn't put a lot of miles on it. I'm glad I owned it. I think it was a bucket list kind of thing. We shall see how many miles my new 14 CB1100 gets on it in the next few years!!!

Both of mine were 1,000 miles per month.
Most folks are not aware of the Sport.
Here's one I would not have minded owning for a while.

I am certain one of our members owns one, or did. Maybe the Ferret can recall. I met a guy at a trackday who had one and he was having a fantastic time on it. WSIR 2.5 mile!

02-03-2018 05:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
The Sportster actually played a role in the CB1100's history. SportsterDoc, et al., you might already be aware if this, but just in case...

Mitsuyoshi Kohama has noted that in 1998 when returned to Japan following his multi-year assignment in Europe he was ready to buy a new motorcycle. But Honda did not offer any models that appealed to him at that time. (He had owned a CB750F for many years prior to his European assignment and rode many different bikes while located there.) He desired a motorcycle that offered more than just speed or performance. The bikes that came to mind for him were the Ducati Monster and the Harley Davidson Sportster — larger displacement bikes that could be ridden with minimal effort and that epitomized their manufacturers even if the prices were considered to be on the high side. It was from this experience that his earliest ideas for the CB1100 were formed.

For that I am definitely grateful to Harley Davidson and the Sportster in particular.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
02-03-2018 05:30 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(02-03-2018 05:30 PM)Guth Wrote:  The Sportster actually played a role in the CB1100's history. SportsterDoc, et al., you might already be aware if this, but just in case...

Mitsuyoshi Kohama has noted that in 1998 when returned to Japan following his multi-year assignment in Europe he was ready to buy a new motorcycle. But Honda did not offer any models that appealed to him at that time. (He had owned a CB750F for many years prior to his European assignment and rode many different bikes while located there.) He desired a motorcycle that offered more than just speed or performance. The bikes that came to mind for him were the Ducati Monster and the Harley Davidson Sportster — larger displacement bikes that could be ridden with minimal effort and that epitomized their manufacturers even if the prices were considered to be on the high side. It was from this experience that his earliest ideas for the CB1100 were formed.

For that I am definitely grateful to Harley Davidson and the Sportster in particular.
Does not surprise me at all. I always thought of my CB1100 as another version of my Sportster Roadster. Weighs about the same, does about the same things, although I am not altogether sure the Roadster didn't handle a little better in the twisties. Low CG and all, and huge torque. But basically the same idea, a great do-everything bike that handles well and has big style.
02-03-2018 05:33 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Ulvetanna, as I mentioned earlier, the XR1200R the one Sportster that really tugged at me. I still wouldn't mind owning one. I really would have liked to see Harley Davidson give that bike even more of a street tracker look.

02-03-2018 05:35 PM
peterbaron Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

ON, Canada
(02-02-2018 01:45 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  Doc, I had one of these. Man, it's a beautiful bike. Why did I sell it? Bought a Dyna-Glide. But it was huge fun.

You all know, I do not love Harleys...but I honestly have to say this particular one with its color arrangement looks really good!!!Clap
There probably are a few more that I would like as far as their look is concerned.Big Grin...

Beer

pb

"Drop a gear and disappear"®
'14 CB1100 DLX-#170 ® 26K kms (FOX - pleasure horse)
'14 CB1100/ABS ® 114K kms (MYSHOL - white draft horse)
'13 CB1100/c-ABS - 56K kms - sold
*Grand Chancellor*
02-03-2018 06:32 PM
the_undecider Offline
Running Like a Top

Texas
(01-30-2018 03:06 PM)redbirds Wrote:  Seems I recall the Kansas City plant is where the 500 and 750 water cooled twins are assembled and dealers around here can hardly give them away.

We have 2 Street 750s we took on trade and nobody has even looked at them. They are terrible, terrible bikes.

2019 Honda Monkey
2019 Honda CRF450L
2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
2001 Kawasaki Super Sherpa
02-03-2018 08:01 PM
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
(02-03-2018 05:30 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  
(02-03-2018 11:23 AM)SportsterDoc Wrote:  
(02-03-2018 11:13 AM)Labrador12 Wrote:  I ran a 99 Sportster Sport. I enjoyed the torque, but didn't put a lot of miles on it. I'm glad I owned it. I think it was a bucket list kind of thing. We shall see how many miles my new 14 CB1100 gets on it in the next few years!!!

Both of mine were 1,000 miles per month.
Most folks are not aware of the Sport.
Here's one I would not have minded owning for a while.

I am certain one of our members owns one, or did. Maybe the Ferret can recall. I met a guy at a trackday who had one and he was having a fantastic time on it. WSIR 2.5 mile!

Frulk has a XR1200.

When I first decided in 2015 to get a second street bike with a standard seating position I first starting looking for the XR1200 but there doesn't seem to be very many here on the east coast of Canada. In almost 3 years I have only seen one for sale in late 2015 and it sold within hours - I missed it.

So in March 2017 (I missed most of the 2016 season due to my wife being in cancer treatment) I went to the HD/Honda/KTM to try the 2017 Sportster Roadster but the ergos were terrible for me. I then tried a KTM Super Duke but didn't care for it.

In the back they had near mint 1978 CB750 Super Sport, I tried it and liked it but the shop owner wouldn't sell it as he wanted for a display bike.

I then remembered how much I liked 2014 CB1100 and without knowing how rare they are in Canada I looked for a used one. By some miracle stroke of luck a dealer had one so I grabbed it right away sight unseen.

When I found this forum I found out how lucky I had really been and a forum member had been the previous owner my bike so I even know the history of it and how it was treated (it had 4500km on it).
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2018 08:37 PM by Banned.)
02-03-2018 08:18 PM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Great story W/R. I suppose if I'm being honest then I'm a bit sad that you weren't able to find a XR1200R. Yet I'm also pretty happy that this ultimately ended up with you landing a CB1100 instead. Big Grin The ferret

02-03-2018 08:52 PM
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
(02-03-2018 08:52 PM)Guth Wrote:  Great story W/R. I suppose if I'm being honest then I'm a bit sad that you weren't able to find a XR1200R. Yet I'm also pretty happy that this ultimately ended up with you landing a CB1100 instead. Big Grin The ferret

Yes, it was a bit of double edged sword. I have always liked the Sportster and a friend had a '07 Nightster that I got ride a few times and I had an absolute hoot - such a great motor. I figured the XR1200R would be even more of a good thing with better ergos.

But I am ecstatic that I have the CB1100 now which I love. Shortly after buying it my Buell followed me home to scratch the other itch. But to be brutally honest, even though the Buell is a far better bike for me than my CB (better suspension, seating position, more versatile) I find it to be incredibly ugly and it feels more like a utility bike when I ride it. Still fun though.

The CB is just stunning and the feeling I get when riding it indescribable for me.

If I see an XR1200R for sale the Buell is gone in a heart beat.
02-04-2018 08:15 AM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Even though my last Harley was a 94, I rode the Blue Ridge and down to the Dragon with a buddy on an 2012 Sportster 1200 that he had put longer rear shocks and mid mount pegs on. We swapped bikes a couple times on the trip. His had great ergos, just right for me for long distance riding. Just like sitting in a chair, and the rear brake was awesome but the front brake was lacking. Of course it vibrated compared to the CB but not horribly, and it steered a little heavy. Too loud for me even with stock pipes. And we had a couple of mechanical issues with his that required borrowing tools from a gas station (twice in 3 days). I'll never forget what my buddy said after riding the CB for the first time "The only thing these two bikes have in common is they are both motorcycles". He sold the Harley as soon as we got back from the trip and bought a Versys 650, which he eventually sold to buy a GS BMW which he sold to buy another Versys which he sold to buy another GS which he just recently sold lol.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-04-2018 08:59 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
What did you do to/with your other bike?
:blush:Lord Popgun — 05:28 PM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… : . . .Nachodaddy — 04:46 PM
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was a . . .GoldOxide — 04:34 PM
Nice bike Gold! My first bike was almos . . .Lord Popgun — 03:56 PM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
I put Spring air in my bike tires… :DLord Popgun — 03:55 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
There could always be worse headlines . . .Gone in 60 — 03:10 PM
Todays weather
Today was overcast and it reached about . . .GoldOxide — 02:53 PM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That is very pretty! I'm a bit chal . . .GoldOxide — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,992