Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dan Gurney has passed away.
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
Dan Gurney has passed away.
Dan Gurney, one of the great developers of Formula One racing cars in the Golden Age of F1 racing (read: incredibly unsafe) has passed away.
Gurney was also a passionate motorcyclist and developed his own motorcycle, called the Alligator. He also sponsored motorcycle racing.

He was of course best-known for developing his own open-wheeled Grand Prix racing car, the Gurney Eagle.

Gurney was among the topmost, elite racers of his time and in all of Formula One history, which include racers like Jackie Stewart, Mario Andretti, and A. J. Foyt, as well as James Hunt and Niki Lauda, who are profiled in the movie "Rush".

Gurney is said to have originated the tradition of spraying pressurized champagne at the crowd.

Gurney's Alligator motorcycle.

Dan Gurney's Eagle open-wheeled Formula One racing car.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2018 10:51 PM by Ulvetanna.)
01-27-2018 10:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
RE: Dan Gurney has passed away.
How sad to hear. A great driver and fine gentleman. A friend and I had the chance to "look over his shoulder" in the paddock at Daytona in 1970. We had a pass for the pits and garages for the "24 Hours of Daytona" and were wandering the garage area, two 21 year old wide eyed fans admiring the factory unlimited sports racers from Porsche, Ferrari and Matra. Gurney was not driving for a factory team but was racing a Ferrari entered by NART. The car looked as though it was driven to the track and some numbers slapped on it. The hood was up on the Ferrari and Gurney and a mechanic were busy under it. We got as close as we could, trying not to be in the way, Mr Gurney moved a bit giving us a good view of the car's engine and smiled.

http://www.sportscardigest.com/1970-24-h...profile/4/

This link has some info on that race and photo credits of my friend, Fred Lewis.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2018 05:55 AM by redbirds.)
01-28-2018 05:50 AM
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
I always liked Dan and was sad to hear that he passed away a few days ago.

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
01-28-2018 09:23 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Great race driver. Sorry to hear of his passing.

I always thought the Alligator was a ridiculous design. Really bad for a rider that runs into something like the back of a car. Nowhere for the rider to go except into the frame and gas tank with your chest that can handle less than a 30 mph impact at best and the head which can handle far less. Besides that who needs to have their seat that close to the ground and legs bent that much at a stop light? Totally impractical design.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-28-2018 09:35 AM
Rolls Offline
High Mileage

Belmont, CA
Very sad news, indeed. An indefatigable pioneer, that one. What a great memory to have, Redbirds! And nice photos, Ulve.

More on the unorthodox Alligator from Autoweek...

http://autoweek.com/article/car-life/gur...motorcycle
01-28-2018 10:36 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-28-2018 09:35 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Great race driver. Sorry to hear of his passing.

I always thought the Alligator was a ridiculous design. Really bad for a rider that runs into something like the back of a car. Nowhere for the rider to go except into the frame and gas tank with your chest that can handle less than a 30 mph impact at best and the head which can handle far less. Besides that who needs to have their seat that close to the ground and legs bent that much at a stop light? Totally impractical design.
Ferret, I was at the press intro for that bike at the Petersen Museum. Dan really just built those for himself and a few friends, like Eddie Lawson. It really does put you too low for safety when it comes to street riding. They are collector's items now, for sure.

(01-28-2018 05:50 AM)redbirds Wrote:  How sad to hear. A great driver and fine gentleman. A friend and I had the chance to "look over his shoulder" in the paddock at Daytona in 1970. We had a pass for the pits and garages for the "24 Hours of Daytona" and were wandering the garage area, two 21 year old wide eyed fans admiring the factory unlimited sports racers from Porsche, Ferrari and Matra. Gurney was not driving for a factory team but was racing a Ferrari entered by NART. The car looked as though it was driven to the track and some numbers slapped on it. The hood was up on the Ferrari and Gurney and a mechanic were busy under it. We got as close as we could, trying not to be in the way, Mr Gurney moved a bit giving us a good view of the car's engine and smiled.

http://www.sportscardigest.com/1970-24-h...profile/4/

This link has some info on that race and photo credits of my friend, Fred Lewis.
Great link! I pulled up this morning at the hangout next to a guy in a Shelby Cobra; first thing I asked was did he know about Dan. He sure did, we both talked about what a great racer and guy he'd been for the sport.
(This post was last modified: 01-28-2018 03:57 PM by Ulvetanna.)
01-28-2018 03:54 PM
ChipBeck Offline
High Mileage

Scottsdale, Arizona
(01-27-2018 10:49 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  İmage
Gurney is said to have originated the tradition of spraying pressurized champagne at the crowd.

Gentlemen,

Dan Gurney absolutely started that tradition in 1967 after winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans co-driving with A.J. Foyt in the #1 Ford GT Mark IV. The picture above was taken after that race. Carroll Shelby was running the team for Ford. While heading to the winners circle with A.J. driving that Ford GT and Dan riding on the left front fender an enthusiastic race fan or possibly a race official in a white sweater jumped on the fender with Dan and handed him a big magnum of champagne. During the trophy ceremony Dan popped the cork intending to drink some but spontaneously decided to shake the bottle and spray it everywhere. That had never been done before and it created such a stir that soon everybody was doing it.

I've been very involved in the Ford GT community for the last 12 years and was at Le Mans last summer with the Ford team who was racing the new Ford GT. On the 50th anniversary of that win at Le Mans Ford invited A.J. Foyt and Dan Gurney to return with the team but Dan was too frail to make the trip. I talked to A.J. Foyt for about 30 minutes and asked him who the guy was that handed Dan that bottle of Champagne. He didn't know. I asked A.J. how many times he raced at Le Mans and he said, "Just that one time. Carroll Shelby asked me to co-drive with Dan, we won, and I never returned."

I never met Dan Gurney, wish that I had.

Chip

The road to hell on earth is paved with the good intentions of liberals.
(This post was last modified: 02-06-2018 01:29 AM by ChipBeck.)
02-06-2018 01:27 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(02-06-2018 01:27 AM)ChipBeck Wrote:  
(01-27-2018 10:49 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  İmage

Gentlemen,

Dan Gurney absolutely started that tradition in 1967 after winning the 24 Hours of Le Mans co-driving with A.J. Foyt in the #1 Ford GT Mark IV. The picture above was taken after that race. Carroll Shelby was running the team for Ford. While heading to the winners circle with A.J. driving that Ford GT and Dan riding on the left front fender an enthusiastic race fan or possibly a race official in a white sweater jumped on the fender with Dan and handed him a big magnum of champagne. During the trophy ceremony Dan popped the cork intending to drink some but spontaneously decided to shake the bottle and spray it everywhere. That had never been done before and it created such a stir that soon everybody was doing it.

I've been very involved in the Ford GT community for the last 12 years and was at Le Mans last summer with the Ford team who was racing the new Ford GT. On the 50th anniversary of that win at Le Mans Ford invited A.J. Foyt and Dan Gurney to return with the team but Dan was too frail to make the trip. I talked to A.J. Foyt for about 30 minutes and asked him who the guy was that handed Dan that bottle of Champagne. He didn't know. I asked A.J. how many times he raced at Le Mans and he said, "Just that one time. Carroll Shelby asked me to co-drive with Dan, we won, and I never returned."

I never met Dan Gurney, wish that I had.

Chip
Great story, Chip, thank you!
02-06-2018 08:24 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
my take is, if you get it and make it wh . . .m in sc — 05:32 AM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition