Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
powdercoat wheel nightmare!
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
RE: powdercoat wheel nightmare!
(01-22-2018 02:27 PM)popgun Wrote:  Beermonster. The service manual shows that the bolts are ALOC bolts. That means they come with a locking agent on the threads. You could add your own and reuse them. As far as I know they are not torque to yield bolts. On one site, they joke that ALOC means Add Locker or Crash Smile But buying new ones is not a bad thing.

Anyway the torque spec is:
Front Brake Caliper Mounting Bolts (4): 23 ft lbs
Rear Brake Caliper Bolt (1) : 16 ft lbs
Yes, they are torque-to-yield bolts. I researched this very thoroughly four years ago. Just do not want anyone to have incorrect information. That's why Honda want you to replace them.
01-22-2018 05:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
Wolf, Not to start an argument, but can you provide any evidence of that? I ask as there are a number of ALOC bolts on the bike that are for mundane things. To me 16 and 23 ft. Lbs doesn’t seem like enough to really streach a bolt, but I’m not a mechanical engineer either.

Did you find out what ALOC means? On other boards they can’t decide if they are torque to yield or just have locker already applied.

I do agree that following the manual is prudent.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
01-22-2018 06:03 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-22-2018 06:03 PM)popgun Wrote:  Wolf, Not to start an argument, but can you provide any evidence of that?

I do agree that following the manual is prudent.
When I first went to change the tires on my 2013, I found out about this. No other bike I'd had used this kind of bolt. So I researched it and learned that the bolt is a "stretch-to-torque" type and thus, Honda say it needs to be replaced every time.

I can't recall just where I got the information, but I got it, and I still have six of those bolts in my garage, unused. I laid in a supply.

The evidence is that Honda says to replace the bolt. If it just needed some thread lock, that would be specified as the procedure, not replacement.

But I do very clearly recall learning that this particular bolt was a stretch type and that's why it needed to be replaced every time. In fact, I compared the length of the used bolt with a new one, and sure enough, there was a noticeable difference, unlike what you'd find on a typical brake caliper bolt.

I found these bolts for $2.15 each online, so the price is not excessive. It's only necessary to remove on caliper (the left) to remove the front wheel. I think following Honda's instructions is the safe play here. These are your brakes, it's ten bucks for all four bolts.

Guys will pour thousands of dollars into cosmetic mods but try to skip a simple thing like this. I would not want to find out why Honda said replace 'em the hard way.

The other thing is, none of us are mechanical engineers, but Honda has some of the best. And they say use new bolts.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2018 06:14 PM by Ulvetanna.)
01-22-2018 06:13 PM
Lord Popgun Offline

Virginia Beach
Well, that length difference is pretty informative. I think I’ll have to order some and lay in a supply too!

2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
01-22-2018 06:19 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-22-2018 06:19 PM)popgun Wrote:  Well, that length difference is pretty informative. I think I’ll have to order some and lay in a supply too!
Good grief, almost 6,000 posts! Just noticed that. You got to be an old-timer around here.

I gave my service manual away and I thought about just giving those bolts to someone, but since I'm thinking on getting another CB1100, I'm gonna hang on to that and the cush drive inserts I still have new in the packaging.

Might need 'em sometime.
01-22-2018 08:34 PM
peterbaron Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

ON, Canada
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"....... "stretch-to-torque" type and thus, Honda say it needs to be replaced every time.
.. .....Guys will pour thousands of dollars into cosmetic mods but try to skip a simple thing like this. I would not want to find out why Honda said replace 'em the hard way.

The other thing is, none of us are mechanical engineers, but Honda has some of the best. And they say use new bolts....."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

CORRECT = REPLACE as per Honda (did not know either)
In cars, same issue for cylinder head bolts = replace every time head is pulled off

pb

"Drop a gear and disappear"®
'14 CB1100 DLX-#170 ® 26K kms (FOX - pleasure horse)
'14 CB1100/ABS ® 114K kms (MYSHOL - white draft horse)
'13 CB1100/c-ABS - 56K kms - sold
*Grand Chancellor*
01-23-2018 05:10 AM
Flynrider Offline
Been There

Phoenix, AZ
(01-22-2018 06:13 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  But I do very clearly recall learning that this particular bolt was a stretch type and that's why it needed to be replaced every time. In fact, I compared the length of the used bolt with a new one, and sure enough, there was a noticeable difference, unlike what you'd find on a typical brake caliper bolt.

I remember that the last time this question came up (probably a few years ago), somebody posted a pic of a used bolt alongside a new bolt. The difference was obvious. The used bolt was longer and noticeably thinner around the middle of the threads.

Phoenix, AZ
2013 CB1100 - Big Red
1993 CB750 Nighthawk - Tahitian Blue
01-23-2018 09:29 PM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
(01-23-2018 09:29 PM)Flynrider Wrote:  
(01-22-2018 06:13 PM)Ulvetanna Wrote:  But I do very clearly recall learning that this particular bolt was a stretch type and that's why it needed to be replaced every time. In fact, I compared the length of the used bolt with a new one, and sure enough, there was a noticeable difference, unlike what you'd find on a typical brake caliper bolt.

I remember that the last time this question came up (probably a few years ago), somebody posted a pic of a used bolt alongside a new bolt. The difference was obvious. The used bolt was longer and noticeably thinner around the middle of the threads.
That's exactly what I recall.
01-23-2018 11:00 PM
736cc Offline
Running Like a Top

NY
Just to clarify, are the brake rotor bolts to be replaced everytime they’re removed? And the caliper bolts as well?
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2018 05:21 PM by 736cc.)
01-24-2018 04:52 PM
Lord Popgun Offline

Virginia Beach
According to the service manual, yes. Replace.

However, the caliper pin bolts can be reused. Book says apply a locking agent to the threads.

2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2018 05:05 PM by Lord Popgun.)
01-24-2018 05:03 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
There could always be worse headlines . . .Gone in 60 — 03:10 PM
Todays weather
Today was overcast and it reached about . . .GoldOxide — 02:53 PM
That is very pretty! I'm a bit chal . . .GoldOxide — 02:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
First time out this season now that Iâ . . .GoldOxide — 02:43 PM
Let's see your CB1100 out on the road!
Yikes A-man! Glad to read you sailed th . . .GoldOxide — 02:39 PM
That is very pretty! I'm a bit challeng . . .Gone in 60 — 02:15 PM
ALERT: A tired and weary forum.
excuse my while i smash my gopro and n . . .Gone in 60 — 02:09 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Lovely looking bike, mtneers.Cormanus — 01:31 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,531
» Latest member: Tom the mod
» Forum threads: 15,992
» Forum posts: 330,377

Full Statistics

>