Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Revisiting rain gear purchases
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
RE: Revisiting rain gear purchases
(01-20-2018 06:39 AM)The ferret Wrote:  I always wondered if those " waterproof leathers" were really waterproof. Do they absorb water thoug, weigh a ton and take a week to dry out like regular leathers?

I have the same HD FXRG suit as Cookiemench and I have ridden in some torrential downpours and it has always kept me perfectly dry.

The only problem I have with it, is it that it is way too hot for me in dead of summer.

And yes, it does get heavy when wet but dries fairly quickly at 75mphThe ferret
01-20-2018 07:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
The HD FXRG gear uses waterproof liners, correct?

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
01-20-2018 07:20 AM
Django Offline
Road Warrior

Germany
(01-20-2018 06:42 AM)popgun Wrote:  Why don’t cows take a week to dry out? Tongue

Cow skin is alive, leather is dead but tanned to avoid it rotting away. Cool

Yes Guth, I'm really happy with my Roadcrafter R 3. And it is 100% dry indeed, if you cared to close it the rigth way: collar up and close the velcros really flat. The material is Cordura 500, laminated with a membrane inside.

Sometimes, on a Sunday ride, when I know, weather will be fine, I take my ol' leathers, which I rode for about 20 years now. Still a good feeling and I look cool at the biker's inn. Cool

But for commuting and for long rides or trips I happily take the R3. That one does not look cool at the biker's meeting, but I really like the function.

For commuting, I just take on my boots, wear a down jacket now at lower temps, pull over the R3, close the zippers and I'm ready to go, takes me just seconds. Before I had the R3, it took quite some time to change clothes every time and then feeling like a sausage with all the layers underneath the leathers.

In summertime, I just have a t-shirt and shorts under the R3, but still wear boots (atgatt). When I arrive, I replace the boots by sandals and I'm really comfortable.

On long trips, I really like to be relaxed, wearing the R3. Comes rain or not, it just doesn't matter. Also I don't have to stop to get out the rain gear. I just ride on.

June 2016 I did an IBA ride: 4 corners, visit Germany's most east, south and west corners in 24 hours. Those were more than 2,200 km for me. I had to go thru 2 really heavy thunderstorms: no issue with my R3. Last year the R3 was my companion along 5,500 km in one week thru sometimes difficult weather conditions.

Meanwhile my R3 has shared about 45,000 km with me and I don't want to miss it. Also, last autumn, when I had the crash with a car hitting me, the protections all where just at the right places. Thumbs Up

So, Aerostich does not know, how to make it look cool, but they know how to make it function, at least for me.

Cool leather jacket versus Roadcrafter R3: Big Grin

73 Django -- [url=http://www.ironbutt.com]IBA[/url] #59882 -- [url=https://djangotours.wordpress.com]Django Tours[/url] -- [url=http://1asw.de/~rsz/bilder/ES-I64/15-34-0832.jpg]Django on CB1100[/url]
This message was signaled with a flashlight into the end of a fiber.
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2018 08:11 AM by Django.)
01-20-2018 07:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Banned Offline
Banned

earth
(01-20-2018 07:20 AM)EmptySea Wrote:  The HD FXRG gear uses waterproof liners, correct?

Correct, it has a non-removable gortex membrane inside.

The other thing I like about the FXRG gear is that it doesn't have giant HD logos all over it, just a small rubber on the left chest. I like my HD bike and the gear is great I just don't need to scream it out the world.
01-20-2018 08:34 AM
cookiemech Offline
Running Like a Top

West Newton, Pennsylvania
Yeah, the FXRG leathers do pick up a bit of weight from the water, but I never noticed it becoming unreasonably heavy. Didn't seem to take too long to dry the next day, hanging in the garage.
01-20-2018 08:37 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Compromises.. we all have to settle for compromises in our riding gear. It just depends on which compromises we are willing to put up with. I can't imagine giving up the air flow of my mesh jacket in the heat of the summer. I like the look of a 2 piece pants/jacket, and the ability to remove just the jacket at a rest stop and have several combos of each from heavy duty cordura, to light weight cordura, and solid leather to ventilated leather, from waist coats to 3/4 length, and from jean type cordura and leather pants to touring type cordura pants. I am willing to stop and put on a rain suit occasionally so as not to give up the versatility of the riding gear I have now. It's why I also wear the Hi Viz vest which will go over any jacket I have from mesh to heavy duty leather.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-20-2018 08:54 AM
jedd Offline
Running Like a Top

Austin, TX
compromises is right.
I'm up to 4 different sets of street riding gear now.
started w/ a 1 pc aerostich roadcrafter light, but that's too geeky for bar hopping and day rides, so,
bought kevlar jeans + 2 leather jackets, one black, one brown, but leather's too hot for TX summers, so,
bought a mesh jacket for summers, but the jean pants don't offer enough protection w/o pads,
I wanted aerostich pants, so decided to buy roadcrafter 2 pce combo. I think I've got my bases covered for now.

But, I'm lacking in hard core ADV gear...
01-20-2018 09:39 AM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
I'll be in Duluth next month, plan on visiting Aerostich (again), this discussion on the R3 may cost me some $$,

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
01-20-2018 05:23 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I prefer my rain gear to be the outer layer rather than the inner layer. Main reasons are: Easier to add/remove and keeps my regular jacket and pants dry. My regular gear does have waterproof liners, but I only wear them to keep the wind out.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
01-20-2018 10:24 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(01-20-2018 06:42 AM)popgun Wrote:  Why don’t cows take a week to dry out? Tongue

They do. Banana
01-21-2018 01:55 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,752

Full Statistics

>