Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
2018 Bonnie Speedmaster
Hondahawkrider Offline
Running Like a Top

Maryland
RE: 2018 Bonnie Speedmaster
(01-03-2018 09:19 PM)Guth Wrote:  When I look at this bike the first word that comes to mind is "Bobber" (not cruiser) That look is big with quite a few of the hipsters these days, which usually tends to mean a recreation of something that appeals to us older guys, lol. I totally get it kvdv — you should definitely go for what you like, that's how so many of us ended up with the CB1100. If this bike presses more of your buttons than the CB1100 does then that's the bike you should get. I hope it works out for you.

The speed aster is actually the bobber but with a different rear

[u]'13 cb1100[/u] came with black grab rails, headlight & side covers, hagofuku front/rear fenders, and cats eye blinkers.[u]Added by me[/u]: Staintune Slip-on, Moriwaki sliders, Sport Trunk Seat, Lucas black taillight
01-03-2018 11:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
Ooops, sorry — I meant "Bobber" as in a specific style of motorcycle as opposed to a model name. I actually didn't know that Triumph made a bike specifically called the Bobber.

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
01-04-2018 01:07 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
(01-03-2018 09:40 PM)Guth Wrote:  
(01-03-2018 09:29 PM)LongRanger Wrote:  It's refreshing to hear someone proclaim their choice of bike based on how it looks. We often get caught up with spec sheets, power-to-weight ratios, hp, number of cylinders, blah blah blah. To me, what's most important is how the bike makes us feel, however we choose to define that.

Exactly! This is totally why I ended up with the CB1100. Ideally, buying a motorcycle should be fueled by the emotions the bike brings out in you.

kvdv, if you're even halfway as excited about the Speedmaster as I was about the CB1100 when it first came out, then I'm predicting great things for you and this bike.

I wish I’d said these things.
01-04-2018 04:55 AM
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
I'm attracted to both the Bobber and the Speedmaster. But luckily I think my inseam will keep it out of my fleet. Other bikes I look at are all over the spectrum, but the Africa Twin makes the most sense.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
01-06-2018 08:41 PM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
Well, there was a snow storm the day before and day of (and actually the day after) the Chicago motorcycle show. One of the Triumph trucks could not get to the show on Friday so we did not get to see the Speedmaster in person. I'm hoping to stop by a dealer on Saturday, if Cheryl is up for it, to see if she fits on it. Really like the look of this bike and she does, too.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
02-21-2018 07:06 PM
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
$13k and change. I don't think that's out of the question for this bike. It does seem to have a lot going for it. From what I've read it's well put together.
02-22-2018 06:50 AM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
(01-03-2018 09:40 PM)Guth Wrote:  
(01-03-2018 09:29 PM)LongRanger Wrote:  It's refreshing to hear someone proclaim their choice of bike based on how it looks. We often get caught up with spec sheets, power-to-weight ratios, hp, number of cylinders, blah blah blah. To me, what's most important is how the bike makes us feel, however we choose to define that.

Exactly! This is totally why I ended up with the CB1100. Ideally, buying a motorcycle should be fueled by the emotions the bike brings out in you.

kvdv, if you're even halfway as excited about the Speedmaster as I was about the CB1100 when it first came out, then I'm predicting great things for you and this bike.

Call me shallow, but except for dedicated purpose machines (dirt/track/even ADV) looks matter most to me. It's the single biggest attraction for the CB, and outweighs most of the perceived performance demerits. I'm not a cruiser guy, but the Speedmaster really is a beautiful bike. I believe the forward controls can be swapped for the Bobber's mid controls, which would make it far more appealing to me.

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
02-22-2018 10:41 AM
Bheezy27403 Offline
High Mileage

Triad NC
Let's all be honest here. Looks are the first thing we go by. Just as in women. You see one that is intriguing and you are drawn towards it. I don't think it makes us shallow at all. You see something first then get to know it.

I suppose their are those that read all the specs for bikes as they come out. I have never been this way. I enjoy motorcycles but don't need to know all the models and the subsequent stat sheets. If it looks good I'll investigate further. A prime example of that are my 2 current running bikes. Triumph T-100 and The CB. I believe I have exceptional taste. Big Grin

And the Speedmaster is a good looking ride, even if not my usual style of bike.
02-22-2018 05:11 PM
kvdv Offline
1st Service Completed

U.S.
Well, it happened, my friends. Rode the new Speedmaster home yesterday after trading in my DLX with mixed emotions. Hard to see it go, but too excited about being back on a Triumph again to let it stop me in the end. I blame (give thanks to) Stichill for this whole thing...had he not posted the first press photo here months ago, I'm not sure this would have ever happened.
I rode this beauty home yesterday. Quite a different experience from the ultra-refined almost electric bike feel of the DLX. In comparison, it rumbles and shakes and roars like some primitive beast (no need to even think about after-market pipes on this thing), yet handles beautifully and the ergos are more suitable for me than I was ever able to get the DLX to.
I plan to stick around on this forum of course, and hopefully hit the West Coast rally again this year. This is a fine group of folks here and y'all haven't seen or heard the last of me.

02-23-2018 08:08 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Congrats, she's gorgeous. Glad you are sticking around. How else would we get to see pics and read ride reports of that beauty.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
02-23-2018 08:24 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
The same bike not even broken in with . . .m in sc — 11:53 AM
What did you do on, or to, your CB today?
Chilly but sunny day and another 87 mile . . .peterbaron — 11:51 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
:clap:peterbaron — 11:50 AM
The same bike not even broken in with 1, . . .Ollie — 11:46 AM
CRISIS During the time that the Triumph . . .misterprofessionality — 11:25 AM
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM