Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
tps evaluating for ii issues
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
RE: tps evaluating for ii issues
The valve works by rotating. Do you have a service manual? Check page 5-74 and 5-75 for a pic.

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2018 06:58 AM by Lord Popgun.)
02-19-2018 06:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SportsterDoc Offline
High Mileage

New Mexico
(02-19-2018 06:20 AM)Dave Wrote:  I will replace my IACV and see if this works.

Dave, Popgun suggested that about a year ago (CB1100 idle speed stability thread), but before you do, unplug it, clean the connector and re-plug it. Also check for any damage to the wires going into the connector.

For those who replaced the IACV, without success, it may be due to a peripheral issue, such as connector, wiring or obstructed ports controlled by the IACV.

Below was posted 27 Dec (CB1100 idle speed stability thread). You can check off what has been done and what may remain:

Suggestions if you experience low/high idle issues:

1. Check for active codes, per page 5-12 & 5-13 of the Factory Service Manual, checking the codes lists on pages 5-15 & 5-16

2. Check for stored codes, per page 5-14 of the FSM

3. If no codes, then insure that there is no vacuum leak. An unlit propane torch applying propane to intake areas will detect a leak by listening for a change in idle speed. Check vacuum hoses and fittings, one 4 way (17201-MCJ-003, $7) and one 5 way (17201-MCZ-003, $5.60), then snug all 8 clamps from throttle bodies to intake.

A. Disconnect Throttle Position Sensor connector (engine OFF), clean contacts (contact cleaner available at Home Depot or Lowes, etc.), check for damaged wiring and reconnect. GO FOR A RIDE. If issue persists, continue

B. Disconnect Idle Air Control Valve, clean contacts, check for damaged wiring and reconnect. GO FOR A RIDE. If issue persists, continue

C. Follow TPS diagnostics per pages 5-23 thru 5-25 of the FSM. Note comments in posts 615, 618 & 622, especially see Max's post 632 regarding TPS output test in CB1100 idle speed stability thread. If output is not 0.5 VDC, loosen fasteners (ignition on, engine NOT running) and rotate TPS to obtain 0.5 VDC, throttle closed. After adjusting TPS throttle closed output, do a throttle calibration with ignition on, engine NOT running, by SLOWLY opening and closing throttle, 2-3 times. GO FOR A RIDE. If issue persists, continue

D. Follow IACV diagnostics per pages 5-74 & 5-75 of the FSM. If OK, then remove IACV, clean IACV port and check for unobstructed travel. If not OK, IACV (16430-MJF-D01) is $119.13 from Honda. GO FOR A RIDE. If issue persists, continue

E. Follow EOT (Engine Oil Temperature Sensor) diagnostics per 5-21 of FSM, particularly resistance value of 2.4 to 2.9 Kohms (2,400 to 2,900 ohms) at 20C / 68 F. If not OK, EOT sensor (37750-KPH-701) is $34.56 from Honda. GO FOR A RIDE. If issue persists, re-check the FSM diagnostics. Note that a faulty ECM is a possibility, albeit rare. The only time I recall a failed ECM on a Sportster, was due to an internal 5 VDC sensor power supply failure.

The EOT (Engine Oil Temperature) sensor and IACV (idle Air Control Valve) are available from Honda. The Honda Rune Forum has posted a TPS replacement for the Keihin JT6H TPS: 16060-MBZ-A11, $114.29 from honda. This is for a 2006 CB600F. The Rune Forum posted that this sensor is a Keihin JT6H, but we have not yet verified compatability.

For non-USA owners, check that the latest ECM program is installed by your dealer.

(02-19-2018 06:56 AM)popgun Wrote:  The valve works by rotating. Do you have a service manual? Check page 5-74 and 5-75 for a pic.

Be helpful if we had a better quality photo of the air ports. Cleaning the IACV is a common automotive issue and symptoms are similar to the low idle on the CB.

Meanwhile, Max has been coordinating the effort to narrow it down.

1. It does not seem to be a MAP issue, due to symptoms not matching.

2. It does not seem to be an EOT issue, per reports in the CB1100 idle speed stability thread, nor do symptoms match.

3. It does not seem to be a TPS issue, due to the recent testing guided by Max.

4. I remain concerned about a large intermittent vacuum loss, but that possibility seems to have been explored by Popgun's testing, per emails between Max, Popgun, Peter and I. Still would like to hear back from Dave on removing purge hose from purge valve to intake manifold (engine fully warm), to know if idle drops or if plugging it causes idle to return to normal. The effect on one bike may differ from another, perhaps due to carbon build-up, a saturated evap canister, etc.

5. Manual pages 5-74 and 5-75 cover IACV (symptoms seem to match): There is a caution about cleaning before removal to prevent debris in the IACV passage(s)...therefore, any debris would be a concern. Popgun also suggested that any warpage of the plastic intake may interfere with IACV operation. A stepper motor does not provide feedback to programmed movement. A clearance check should be done when replacing.

Note the symptoms/fail safe function of all DTC on pages 5-15 and 5-16 of FSM. Focus on the IACV.

The IACV is 16430-MJF-D01

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/2014...mbly.html#

There have been some TPS or TPS wire/connector issues. However, consider this: Each time the entire throttle body assembly was replaced the problem was reported to be cured. This replaced TPS, IACV and provided a clean throttle body (all new vacuum hoses & fittings?), including the IACV port(s). Deduction: TPS checked OK, so what is left?

At this time, if the purge valve is not an issue, I would focus on the IACV, starting with checking the electrical connector. If no joy, then remove and clean IACV passages. Due to the labor involved, probably also replace the IACV...although that would not allow proof that cleaning solved the issue.

For IACV port cleaning, use throttle body cleaner, not carb cleaner, due to contact with plastics.

23 Guzzi V7 SE 23 Yam XT250
18 Yam Bolt 22 Triumph St Twin 20 CanAm Ryker
14 Honda CB1100 18 Yam XT250 16 Guzzi V7II
17 Yam TW200 12 Triumph Bonnie 02 Sportster 1200S
03 Sportster 883 76 Honda CB750F 75 Honda CB360
70 Yam CT1 72 Yam CT2 72 Yam AT2
70 Honda SL350 70 Honda CL350 67 Honda CL160
67 Honda CB16062 Honda CA110
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2018 09:54 AM by SportsterDoc.)
02-19-2018 09:22 AM
SportsterDoc Offline
High Mileage

New Mexico
(02-19-2018 09:22 AM)SportsterDoc Wrote:  4. I remain concerned about a large intermittent vacuum loss, but that possibility seems to have been explored by Popgun's testing, per emails between Max, Popgun, Peter and I. Still would like to hear back from Dave on removing purge hose from purge valve to intake manifold (engine fully warm), to know if idle drops or if plugging it causes idle to return to normal. The effect on one bike may differ from another, perhaps due to carbon build-up, a saturated evap canister, etc.

Dave, disregard this section. This morning I lifted the rear of my tank, removed the throttle body side covers and emailed you (copied Max, Popgun & Peter) photos of the IACV connected and disconnected. After I reassembled, I started it to be sure operation was normal. While cold, I pushed off the purge valve hose to manifold.

1. It made no difference in idle

2. The vacuum was weak (very small manifold orifice?)

Popgun had the same results with his bike, although I think his was fully warmed up. This appears to rule out the purge system, and in my opinion, leaves the focus on the IACV.

IACV connector disconnect was easy: Using right hand, press on connector locking tab with thumb and lift up.

02-19-2018 11:01 AM
Dave Offline
High Mileage

San Diego, ca
Hello to all you great guys working on this low idle problem! First, thank ALL of you for all of your support. I will clean the IACV electrical connection ASAP (this week) per the instructions emailed to me from Doc.

Been working O.T., and had to run to three different stores this evening to find a new battery for my P.C., and just got that replaced. It's after 10:00 PM and I just logged on. The VFR800 work can wait until I clean the CB1100 IACV connection, but I really need to finish the VFR fork rebuild and steering head bearings replacement before I tackle the CB1100 IACV replacement. The VFR is apart in the garage, and I am out of room to work.

What do you guys make of the constant sound (IACV cycling?) I heard when my bike was running seriously bad last Saturday, when it was stalling? Do you think maybe this indicates the valve was sticking? Does hearing the sound possibly mean that the sensors and ECM are operating correctly by sending a signal to the IACV?

What do you think about the condition I described where the low idle condition seems to be temporarily cured now when I turn the ignition key off and then back on again (I leave it off for about 5 seconds before turning it on). Does this disprove the sticking IACV theory?

The Factory Service Manual (FSM) has a procedure for checking the operation of the IACV (I read it several months ago, and don't remember the exactly details right now). If the valve is operating correctly (per the FSM check), is there a good way to determine if the valve is sticking? Can I insert it into the throttle body and make an accurate judgment?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate all of you.
02-19-2018 11:20 PM
max Online
Road Warrior

Auckland New Zealand
(02-19-2018 11:20 PM)Dave Wrote:  Hello to all you great guys working on this low idle problem! First, thank ALL of you for all of your support. I will clean the IACV electrical connection ASAP (this week) per the instructions emailed to me from Doc.

Been working O.T., and had to run to three different stores this evening to find a new battery for my P.C., and just got that replaced. It's after 10:00 PM and I just logged on. The VFR800 work can wait until I clean the CB1100 IACV connection, but I really need to finish the VFR fork rebuild and steering head bearings replacement before I tackle the CB1100 IACV replacement. The VFR is apart in the garage, and I am out of room to work.

What do you guys make of the constant sound (IACV cycling?) I heard when my bike was running seriously bad last Saturday, when it was stalling? Do you think maybe this indicates the valve was sticking? Does hearing the sound possibly mean that the sensors and ECM are operating correctly by sending a signal to the IACV?

What do you think about the condition I described where the low idle condition seems to be temporarily cured now when I turn the ignition key off and then back on again (I leave it off for about 5 seconds before turning it on). Does this disprove the sticking IACV theory?

The Factory Service Manual (FSM) has a procedure for checking the operation of the IACV (I read it several months ago, and don't remember the exactly details right now). If the valve is operating correctly (per the FSM check), is there a good way to determine if the valve is sticking? Can I insert it into the throttle body and make an accurate judgment?

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate all of you.

Hi Dave i copied and pasted this from post 146;

None of us have a clear idea of the exact part that is the cause of the fault, however there are some things that have not been done and that is cleaning all connectors to the sensors;
a map sensor 3 pole connector ( left hand side behind plastic cover ).
b iacv 4 pole connector ( right hand side under plastic cover )
c evap purge valve 2 pole connector( right hand side under throttle body )
d air temp sensor small 2 pole connector up high ( left hand side under cb1100 side cover ).

The most telling clue i found that there is still a noise coming from the iacv AFTER the engine stalled but ignition is still on, that means to me that the valve is still commanded to get to 1050 but is mechanically unable to do so.
Provided that i interpret that correctly.

If you switch the ignition off and on again you have also re-cycled the iacv every time the fuel pump is running on switch-on.

I have made a new thread about the iacv that may help you;
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12203
see what you think

So i would try as many of the abcd tips as you can, and yes, you have to lift the tank first and remove the plastic covers

Cheers

sometimes i get lucky, and the more i practice the luckier i getCool
and; It's always something simple......just not always simple to find.
2020 cb1000r chromos red
2010 cb1100 candy red
2006 cb919 hornet black
1977 cb550 k3 1st owner
02-20-2018 01:44 AM
SportsterDoc Offline
High Mileage

New Mexico
(02-19-2018 11:20 PM)Dave Wrote:  The Factory Service Manual (FSM) has a procedure for checking the operation of the IACV (I read it several months ago, and don't remember the exactly details right now). If the valve is operating correctly (per the FSM check), is there a good way to determine if the valve is sticking? Can I insert it into the throttle body and make an accurate judgment?

FSM pages 5-41 & 5-42 are condensed in post 22 of this thread:

http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....203&page=3

To check for sticking, the IACV should be removed and the piston to port clearance checked and any air passages cleaned.

Suggest cycling connector, inspect wiring and do 5-41 to 5-42 tests before disassembly (air box is in the way of access to replacing IACV)

+1 / ditto to all aspects of Max's post 155.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2018 05:03 PM by SportsterDoc.)
02-20-2018 05:00 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974