Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Motus
Rboe Offline
Been There

Phx, AZ
RE: Motus
(07-06-2018 01:41 PM)silverbub Wrote:  3/4 quart of oil consumed in ~3K miles after 600 mi break-in service...did the MST finally get rings sealed???...I like Honda(or any bike) to not consume oil after break-in...I like seeing oil at FULL line on sightglass...& checking sightglass mostly out of habit & not of necessity...BUT...if I found a spare 32K $ in a shoebox in closet...

Riding the slab, I suspect that the rings did not get seated properly.

2013 Honda CB1100 Red
2014 Honda CB1100 Black
2008 Honda XR650L
07-06-2018 04:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
(07-06-2018 02:01 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Yea, that's a lot of oil consumption. My ST only used a couple ounces of oil in 4,000 miles when it had 100,000 miles on it.
My 2005 ST 1300 used nearly a quart of oil during break in but afterwards used little if any.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
07-06-2018 05:14 PM
apex1 Offline
Running Like a Top

Central Ohio, USA
I test rode one last year when the test ride fleet came to a local dealer which just picked them up. It was a pretty long test ride. I was unimpressed. It felt like a kit bike. A collection of top shelf parts bolted together around a loud, hot, unrefined motor with automotive peripherals. The lack of resources to manufacture their own fully-integrated components and to refine and integrate them is very evident. It is hard for me to believe that a Motus could ever put down the type of power that a modern liquid cooled high tech motorcycle engine can make.

Harley Road King with a very built motor
Ducati Multistrada 1000 S
Honda CB1100EX (2017)
Vespa PX 150
Vespa GTS 300 HPE Super Tech
2 1969 Honda PC 50s (one red, one blue)
07-06-2018 05:23 PM
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
thanks for the review Apex i always hungered for that bike but now know i would have been disappointed.
She was pure like snowflakes No one could ever stain The memory of my angel Could never cause me pain , Years go by .......

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
07-06-2018 06:24 PM
Roper Offline
Running Like a Top

UT
My blood runs cold. My memory has just been sold.
07-06-2018 08:04 PM
Roper Offline
Running Like a Top

UT
(07-06-2018 05:23 PM)apex1 Wrote:  I test rode one last year when the test ride fleet came to a local dealer which just picked them up. It was a pretty long test ride. I was unimpressed. It felt like a kit bike. A collection of top shelf parts bolted together around a loud, hot, unrefined motor with automotive peripherals. The lack of resources to manufacture their own fully-integrated components and to refine and integrate them is very evident. It is hard for me to believe that a Motus could ever put down the type of power that a modern liquid cooled high tech motorcycle engine can make.
The top shelf parts are the ones many cyclists use to replace the OEM stuff on their bikes, anyway--Ohlins suspension, Brembo brakes, braided lines, OZ wheels, Akrapovic exhaust. And their loud, hot, unrefined motor: 165 hp and 135 ft lb torque from a 2-valve-per-cylinder pushrod motor. And all of that on their base model. You say unrefined. I say bravo.

Yes, Motus can't compete with global corporations who have been making motorcycles for over 50 years. But you cannot deny they have produced pretty spectacular results for a first effort. I get that not everyone is going to be impressed. I think that's a result of personal preference, not a result of Motus' design. Some people would rather drive a Z-car. Some people would rather drive a Camaro.
07-07-2018 08:24 AM
apex1 Offline
Running Like a Top

Central Ohio, USA
(07-07-2018 08:24 AM)Roper Wrote:  
(07-06-2018 05:23 PM)apex1 Wrote:  I test rode one last year when the test ride fleet came to a local dealer which just picked them up. It was a pretty long test ride. I was unimpressed. It felt like a kit bike. A collection of top shelf parts bolted together around a loud, hot, unrefined motor with automotive peripherals. The lack of resources to manufacture their own fully-integrated components and to refine and integrate them is very evident. It is hard for me to believe that a Motus could ever put down the type of power that a modern liquid cooled high tech motorcycle engine can make.
The top shelf parts are the ones many cyclists use to replace the OEM stuff on their bikes, anyway--Ohlins suspension, Brembo brakes, braided lines, OZ wheels, Akrapovic exhaust. And their loud, hot, unrefined motor: 165 hp and 135 ft lb torque from a 2-valve-per-cylinder pushrod motor. And all of that on their base model. You say unrefined. I say bravo.

Yes, Motus can't compete with global corporations who have been making motorcycles for over 50 years. But you cannot deny they have produced pretty spectacular results for a first effort. I get that not everyone is going to be impressed. I think that's a result of personal preference, not a result of Motus' design. Some people would rather drive a Z-car. Some people would rather drive a Camaro.

All of what you say is true and I wish them nothing but success. Having spent some time on one, however, they are not for me, even putting price aside.

Harley Road King with a very built motor
Ducati Multistrada 1000 S
Honda CB1100EX (2017)
Vespa PX 150
Vespa GTS 300 HPE Super Tech
2 1969 Honda PC 50s (one red, one blue)
07-07-2018 10:21 AM
Roper Offline
Running Like a Top

UT
(07-07-2018 10:21 AM)apex1 Wrote:  Having spent some time on one, however, they are not for me, even putting price aside.

Well, judging from your stable of bikes, I'd say you have excellent taste (even if you don't care for Motus.) Cool
07-07-2018 04:04 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM
The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake an...
I’m sure contemporary rollers have som . . .Cormanus — 02:53 PM
Todays weather
Correct, Gone.Cormanus — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,750

Full Statistics

>