Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
END OF THE RIDING SEASON
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
END OF THE RIDING SEASON
My riding season has come to an end. When I left home at 10AM this morning is was a balmy 10C/52F with 32KPH/20 MPH wind gusts. I was dressed in my usual layers of cold weather clothing and wore nylon winter mitts. A little clumsy, but they kept my hands warm until lunch time, when I could change to my leather insulated gauntlets. After lunch it climbed to a scorching 18C/64F.

I have about 100 back road maps that range from 1 to 1 1/2 hours of riding, and their reverse routes. Today I used several of the reverse routes. What a pleasant surprize. It was like riding completely new roads. Although I was in cruise mode, the reverse curves were a new challenge. Because a lot of the deciduous trees have already lost their leaves, there were views of previously unseen lakes and other scenery.

I do not usually ride on weekends to avoid the tourist traffic and dang motorcycles. This afternoon I spent a lot of time waving a passing bikes. I think every motorcyclist in the area realized this was our last mild day. Highs for the next week are in the 40sF with numerous days of rain.

I rode a long as I could, but dark skies, increasing winds, and the impending rain chased me home after only 286 kilometers/178miles. Had I been able to ride another 248 kilometers/154 miles, I would have made my 11,000 kilometer/6835 mile season average.

Overall it has been a pleasant summer, and I thoroughly enjoyed my new CB1100 EX. But unfortunately the time has come to put my summer toys away.

2017 CB1100 EX
10-28-2017 08:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rocky Offline
Been There

Nova Scotia, Canada
RE: END OF THE RIDING SEASON
(10-28-2017 08:27 PM)Nortoon Wrote:  My riding season has come to an end. When I left home at 10AM this morning is was a balmy 10C/52F with 32KPH/20 MPH wind gusts. I was dressed in my usual layers of cold weather clothing and wore nylon winter mitts. A little clumsy, but they kept my hands warm until lunch time, when I could change to my leather insulated gauntlets. After lunch it climbed to a scorching 18C/64F.

I have about 100 back road maps that range from 1 to 1 1/2 hours of riding, and their reverse routes. Today I used several of the reverse routes. What a pleasant surprize. It was like riding completely new roads. Although I was in cruise mode, the reverse curves were a new challenge. Because a lot of the deciduous trees have already lost their leaves, there were views of previously unseen lakes and other scenery.

I do not usually ride on weekends to avoid the tourist traffic and dang motorcycles. This afternoon I spent a lot of time waving a passing bikes. I think every motorcyclist in the area realized this was our last mild day. Highs for the next week are in the 40sF with numerous days of rain.

I rode a long as I could, but dark skies, increasing winds, and the impending rain chased me home after only 286 kilometers/178miles. Had I been able to ride another 248 kilometers/154 miles, I would have made my 11,000 kilometer/6835 mile season average.

Overall it has been a pleasant summer, and I thoroughly enjoyed my new CB1100 EX. But unfortunately the time has come to put my summer toys away.

Yes, unfortunately, the season is almost over for me too.
We've been having amazingly mild weather for this time of year, but one of these days reality will hit and it will be over.
Probably next week I'll be thinking of mothballs Big Grin

Still rockin', rollin', and ridin' after all these years
'67 BSA 441 VR, '70 Triumph Tiger 100, '02 Honda CB900F, '06 Triumph T100 Bonneville, '14 Honda CB1100A
10-29-2017 03:50 AM
Mandrau Offline
1st Service Completed

Canada
Not many bikes on the road here in Sudbury as well. My bike goes into storage Nov. 1. Might be sunny today and able to go for a spin around town.
10-29-2017 04:08 AM
paulw Offline
1st Service Completed

USA
Pretty much over here but it has been a good one for a variety of reasons. I bought my CB in April during a long course of chemo. I was weak and was barely able to ride it the two hours from the dealership in Indianapolis to home here in Plymouth. A week later I dropped it in the garage. No damage to the bike or me but was starting to wonder whether I would ever be really able to ride it. I started riding it a few miles every few days.

The goal was to be able to participate with two friends in our annual (15 years and counting) West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky trip. I continued to work at through the summer and with a change in chemo type I slowly built up strength and stamina.

The trip went without a hitch and although I only put a total of 3700 miles on the bike this year I am grateful to have had it and look forward to next year with more miles and travels. God willing and if the creeks don't rise.
10-29-2017 05:57 AM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Sorry the season is over for you gents, but at least it sounds like they were all rewarding summers for you.

Getting nippy here too. yesterday afternoons ride it was 39 F , and I am getting ready to head out on todays ride and it is 38 F. I will be dressed for it and running my electrics. I won't quit riding until ice or snow coats the roads. Hoping for a mild winter lol

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
10-29-2017 06:39 AM
valkanut Offline
Break-In Period

quebec,
(10-29-2017 06:39 AM)The ferret Wrote:  Sorry the season is over for you gents, but at least it sounds like they were all rewarding summers for you.

Getting nippy here too. yesterday afternoons ride it was 39 F , and I am getting ready to head out on todays ride and it is 38 F. I will be dressed for it and running my electrics. I won't quit riding until ice or snow coats the roads. Hoping for a mild winter lol

i thing it was my last one too yesterday...hoping mother,s nature will be cuss up again for a few more week-end. lol
long winter's coming. snif,snif

Attached File(s) Image(s)

(This post was last modified: 10-29-2017 07:24 AM by valkanut.)
10-29-2017 07:21 AM
Cbgaz Offline
Break-In Period

England
It’s not the cold over here it’s the bloody rain, seems to always be raining, although we are due this week for cold air (artic blast)coming down from Iceland. So I think I won’t bother riding for a while. Starts warming up in about March here.
10-29-2017 07:24 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I break my riding logs into "In Season" and "Out of Season" sections. I am able to ride year around, but even so I view the end of October as the end of the season for me. It's sunny today, but chilly. I think I may use this thread as a little inspiration to saddle up for my "last ride".

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
10-29-2017 07:56 AM
Mandrau Offline
1st Service Completed

Canada
(10-29-2017 05:57 AM)paulw Wrote:  Pretty much over here but it has been a good one for a variety of reasons. I bought my CB in April during a long course of chemo. I was weak and was barely able to ride it the two hours from the dealership in Indianapolis to home here in Plymouth. A week later I dropped it in the garage. No damage to the bike or me but was starting to wonder whether I would ever be really able to ride it. I started riding it a few miles every few days.

The goal was to be able to participate with two friends in our annual (15 years and counting) West Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky trip. I continued to work at through the summer and with a change in chemo type I slowly built up strength and stamina.

The trip went without a hitch and although I only put a total of 3700 miles on the bike this year I am grateful to have had it and look forward to next year with more miles and travels. God willing and if the creeks don't rise.

Appreciate your “Gusto.” Very inspiring. Thank you.
10-29-2017 09:40 AM
Chris Goldson Offline
1st Service Completed

Lincoln
Still a bit longer yet but definitely into hibernation once the salt arrives

(10-29-2017 09:40 AM)Mandrau Wrote:  
(10-29-2017 05:57 AM)paulw Wrote:  Pretty much over here but it has been a good one for a variety of reasons. I bought my CB in April during a long course of chemo. I was weak and was barely able to ride it the two hours from the dealership in Indianapolis to home here in Plymouth. A week later I dropped it in the garage. No damage to the bike or me but was starting to wonder whether I would ever be really able to ride it. I started riding it a few miles every few days.

Appreciate your “Gusto.” Very inspiring. Thank you.
10-29-2017 10:29 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974
» Forum posts: 329,751

Full Statistics

>