Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Yamaha Niken
Henrik Offline
Running Like a Top

Switzerland
RE: Yamaha Niken
Personally I find that concept bike particularly ugly. I believe a motorcycle should be two wheels, even if it is possible to gain stability and improve braking with the three wheels. I have also tried the three wheeled scooters from Piaggio, and although they are nice to ride and most likely appeal to a number of riders, it is just not for me.

As for a three wheel concept that I might consider it would be more like what Mercedes did back in 1997. This is more like a tilting car, which then provides the protection advantages of a car, but would also deliver the thrill of tilting in to corners you get from bikes. You could no doubt improve on the looks, but I would love to have a go in something like this:

10-29-2017 03:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
One’s failure to see how this vehicle is better than a motorcycle says more about one’s vision than about the actual comparison of the two. There are many reasons, some stated above, why a rider might prefer this particular three-wheeled configuration to a two-wheeled one. I wold have to ride one and do some research once it was in production before making judgement on whether it would be better alternative for me at that time in my life.

One question I would have is about the ride comfort. Three wheels means three tracks which means three times as many potholes, rocks, tar snakes on those tracks.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
10-29-2017 03:57 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
(10-29-2017 03:57 AM)EmptySea Wrote:  Three wheels means three tracks which means three times as many potholes, rocks, tar snakes on those tracks.

That was a major complaint of mine when a friend allowed a ride on his Spyder. Finding a path through a pot-holed section of road is not easy when you have three wheel tracks to consider.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
10-29-2017 05:00 AM
Henrik Offline
Running Like a Top

Switzerland
I can certainly see the improvements that a three wheel bike could bring, but the thing is that it is not a bike anymore. It really becomes a different type of vehicle with its benefits and and disadvantages. A first disadvantage is obviously the added weight such a system brings.

In any case, no matter how good such a vehicle can be, what I love most is to ride a bike. I do not strive for something that is necessarily easy and safe, but something that I enjoy.

Somebody mentioned a four wheel version, and this already exists. There is the Quadro 4 scooter, that I have also tried. It does further improve braking capabilities in slippery conditions, but it also weighs even more. More weight obviously implies more mass to stop. Also, this scooter loses much of the advantages of a scooter in that there is really no more storage room. Like with the three wheel solutions, there is also less reactivity than on a bike.

10-29-2017 10:31 AM
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
Kudos to Yamaha Engineering for thinking outside the box. Who knows what will be next? I wonder how much fine Japanese whiskey was consumed in the after work discussions when dreaming this up..

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
(This post was last modified: 10-30-2017 10:11 AM by 4 Paws.)
10-30-2017 10:08 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
wonder about alignment issues and so many more moving parts ...

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
11-01-2017 09:19 PM
RandysCB1100 Offline
Break-In Period

Cincinnati Ohio USA
A perfect example of just because you can build something, doesn't mean you should.
11-03-2017 09:58 AM
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
I think more motorcycle options is better than fewer. There are people for whom the Niken will appeal, not the least of whom are those who would otherwise be limited to conventional non-leaning trikes. If I was in a situation where it was get a trike or don't ride, I'd be on the Niken in a heartbeat.

2012 Honda CBR250RA Candy Ruby Red/Silver
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2017 06:44 AM by Stichill.)
11-09-2017 06:43 AM
kvdv Offline
1st Service Completed

U.S.
(11-09-2017 06:43 AM)Stichill Wrote:  If I was in a situation where it was get a trike or don't ride...

For me, at that point I'd just opt for a convertible of some sort, to be honest. The Niken clearly involved some time and ingenuity to develop, and I respect that completely...but even if I ever decided to look at a three-wheeler, I'm afraid the styling on this one doesn't quite work for me, to put it kindly. But hey...to each his/her own, right? The ferret
11-09-2017 04:03 PM
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
for me a convertible sports car trumps any kind of trike .
never felt comfortable on a trike JMO

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
11-09-2017 05:33 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles . . .GoldOxide — 07:46 PM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
... That looks like it was comforting, . . .pdedse — 05:17 PM
Todays weather
That’s the spirit, peterbaron! Keep th . . .Cormanus — 03:34 PM
What a fun trip! Didn't know they made a . . .Gone in 60 — 03:16 PM
Todays weather
Partly sunny, cool, windy and 48 miles o . . .peterbaron — 03:12 PM
Great pics, pdedse.Cormanus — 02:55 PM
The Cormanus Chronicles: Remembering Jake an...
I’m sure contemporary rollers have som . . .Cormanus — 02:53 PM
Todays weather
Correct, Gone.Cormanus — 02:46 PM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,975
» Forum posts: 329,750

Full Statistics

>