Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Miss Piggy goes moto-crossing
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Miss Piggy goes moto-crossing
This is my 4th summer of motorcycling after a 25 year hiatus. But I am already getting bored riding the same paved twisty roads. So yesterday I wandered off my planned route to see if the Burnt Bridge Road from Palmer Rapids was paved yet. It is a road I tried with my CB500XA a few years ago and gave up a mile in because of the loose sand and ruts.

But because of all the rain this summer the lumber trucks had pounded the sand flat and firm. Well the first 5 miles anyway. Too late to turn back now, so I persisted.

A 560 pound motorcycle with skinny road tires does not make a good motocross bike. Miss Piggy repeatedly wagged her rear end in the increasing number of sand washes on the uphill slopes, and refused to go where she was pointed on the downhill ones. Oh why didn't I buy a Jeep I kept thinking to myself?

After what seemed to be hours of white knuckle riding and cussing my fat and contrary steed, I finally reached the Madawaska River and the new concrete and steel bridge that replaced the wooden one.

Nice scenic spot to stop for a badly needed rest. Too bad I didn't have my fishing gear with me. If only I had a Jeep, I could leave it in the back so it’s always there.

Time to journey on. According to my previous information the paved Boulter Road is just a few miles west from the bridge. Nope. I slide down a hill in first gear where the Burnt Bridge Road ends at the Hass Brown Road?

Which way I wonder? I know I want to go south on the Boulter Road. But this road had a steep and sandy valley to the south. I make the left turn south, waddling and cussing all the way down the hill. I stop at the bottom and look up at this steep and sandy hill facing me. I change my mind. Which was fortunate, as I find out later this treacherous road ends about 10 miles down.

Back up the hill and a mile or so later I turn onto another sandy road heading west. After passing a few dishevelled houses the road ends at another unfamiliar sandy road.

Now men don’t ask for directions right? But I had enough slip sliding around on unfamiliar roads. So I go back to the houses, pull in a laneway and shut the bike off. The curtain of the door flickers and three barking dogs come out as the door closes. Well better than a shotgun toting red neck I thought.

So I take off my helmet and sun glasses. After seeing a gray haired old fart sitting on a quietly parked motorcycle a safe distance away, the lady of the house decides I look harmless enough. She opens the door, but remains safely in the house. I am lost I say sheepishly.

She gives me the directions to the Boulter Road. I thank her politely as the door closes. The dogs are fascinated with this iron horse, but quickly scatter and bark loudly as I start up and leave.

A couple more miles sliding around in the sand and I finally reach the Boulter Road. But I am faced with large orange signs telling me the road is under construction. Why me Lord?

Fortunately they turn out to be short patches of sand and gravel here and there that I can navigate at highway speed without Miss Piggy fussing too much.

As I am rolling along I rule out thoughts of exploring the Moccasin Lake Road or Trout Lake Road. ......Unless the boss will let me trade in her Impala LTZ on a Jeep.

2017 CB1100 EX
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2017 02:35 PM by Nortoon.)
09-21-2017 02:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
RE: Miss Piggy goes moto-crossing
Nortoon, I feel for you. It reminds me of at least one of my ill-considered CB jaunts. Well told too. Thumbs Up
09-21-2017 10:10 PM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I'm a lil guy. I won't pull into gravel parking lots or pull offs for the most part, much less roads that aren't paved. Heck I don't even like paved roads that don't have a painted centerline.

Riding on the goat paths you described would be inconcievable to me. There is not that much adventurer in me. Maybe on a CRF 250 Honda but certainly not on a CB 1100.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
09-22-2017 04:45 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
You probably would not ride some of my favourite roads. Rough pavement, 1st and 2nd gear curves hidden behind small hills or wrapped around rock outcroppings.

2017 CB1100 EX
09-29-2017 09:33 AM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
I’d ride that!
09-29-2017 02:43 PM
Tezza Offline
1st Service Completed

Queensland Australia
(09-21-2017 10:10 PM)Cormanus Wrote:  Nortoon, I feel for you. It reminds me of at least one of my ill-considered CB jaunts. Well told too. Thumbs Up
I'll remember that jaunt forever. Wouldn't have taken a jeep there either. Was that road even on the map?
(This post was last modified: 09-29-2017 03:25 PM by Tezza.)
09-29-2017 03:23 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
Tezza, I reckon we got to about here ... https://goo.gl/maps/21wmwHqDHGT2 Like you I’m never going to forget that day.

Funny, though, I was actually thinking about this fiasco.
09-29-2017 03:48 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM