Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Interesting conversation re: demographics
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
RE: Interesting conversation re: demographics
Tough to say, but I can't imagine many 70-year old retirees have an interest in getting into motorcycling (physical limitations, lack of stamina, declining eyesight, perceived risks, spouse disapproval) but I could definitely see them getting behind the wheel of a Winnebago for the first time. Maybe it's just me.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
09-22-2017 05:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
I am not saying there is a definite correlation between the two, that would take a survey of RV owners, but it seems to me that going to an RV from a motorcycle might be a logical step.

LR i wasnt talking about 70 year olds buying their FIRST motorcycle, but 70 year olds who had been riding and buying motorcycles for years, giving up their last motorcycle and not buying any more.

My wife has mentioned getting an rv/ toy hauler since she can no longer ride long distance. I don't want to drive an RV ( dont mind pulling the right trailer with my bike on it behind my Ridgeline,) but I can see where a motorcyclist in his late 60s early 70s might facing the end of a motorcycling career might make the leap to RVing..

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2017 06:01 PM by The ferret.)
09-22-2017 05:58 PM
Ben70 Offline
Running Like a Top

NCAL
+1 on Stichill's observations re the prep and unprep of the camping and boating pursuits. Done lot's of both, and love it, BUT...
And with the bike, if I want to go for a spin when no one else wants to, or if I have some time available, it's right there.
We have hashed out the problem of not getting the younger generations interested in motorcycles and I think that has a lot to do with it.
I think the fascination with the toys of the digital age is contributing to the problem. Years ago when we went tent camping, campgrounds were over run with kids and teens. We have a little camper now, no more sleeping on the ground, but we have observed a dramatic drop in young people outdoors.

Ben

09-22-2017 06:02 PM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
Ben, I think that's a telling observation. Very interesting.

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
09-22-2017 06:06 PM
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
RE: Interesting conversation demographics
(09-22-2017 05:41 PM)The ferret Wrote:  Doesnt explain the drop in motorcycle sales and rise in RV sales though.

(09-22-2017 05:43 PM)Capo Wrote:  They are unrelated. It's like trying to correlate a rise in broccoli consumption with a decrease in the number of people bowling.

Interesting hypothesis, ferret, but I'd agree with Capo. There is simply a tsunami of Baby Boomers retiring with fat pensions and retirement savings accounts who want to hit the road in an 8-1/2' wide, 40' long mobile hotel suite.

(09-22-2017 05:53 PM)LongRanger Wrote:  Tough to say, but I can't imagine many 70-year old retirees have an interest in getting into motorcycling (physical limitations, lack of stamina, declining eyesight, perceived risks, spouse disapproval) but I could definitely see them getting behind the wheel of a Winnebago for the first time. Maybe it's just me.

Indeed. And the laws of probability would predict that the 'she' of the 'he and she' would rather travel in a motorhome than ride pillion on a bike.

My own mother, Momma Stichill, was not amused when the realization dawned on her that Pappa Stichill's motorhome came equipped with a full kitchen that had to be stocked, operated, and cleaned up - just like the one found at home - by her, while on 'vacation'.

2012 Honda CBR250RA Candy Ruby Red/Silver
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2017 06:43 PM by Stichill.)
09-22-2017 06:37 PM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
Interesting conversation re: demographics
Meanwhile, golf is hitting the skids, with millions in the US giving up the game. A number of contributory reasons, but I find it surprising in light of the boomer- retirement complex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
09-22-2017 06:49 PM
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
RE: Interesting conversation demographics
(09-22-2017 05:42 PM)LongRanger Wrote:  Stichill, I came to the same conclusion when considering the purchase of a ski condo. The numbers didn't work and the hassle of furnishing, maintaining and cleaning the unit would outweigh the benefit of ownership. I now stay in hotels instead.

Not to mention: it's nice to have the freedom to visit different places, or to not feel like you "have to" go there to get your money's worth out if it.

It's like any asset where the hours of utilization don't justify locking up the capital. If boat owners actually tallied up the cost per hour of use "all in" they'd never buy one unless the income was considered truly disposable. RV'ers might do better if they spend a lot of time in the unit and save on hotel costs.

In general, it's almost always more sensible to rent than buy vacation assets that would get limited periods of use. The only thing that would change that, IMO, is if you absolutely love going back to the same magical place time and time again, and cherish the idea of having your own bit of heaven that's all yours and that no one else can mess with. Everything is just as you like it and it stays that way upon your return.

My buddy's dad, a state civil servant, built a place on Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia. He spent weekend upon weekend up there finishing it off, building a boat house, dock, wooden steps, rip-rapping the banks, etc. He retired and got ten good years living his dream before passing in his sleep. His widow still lives there. The place in the meantime has appreciated wildly. I don't think the kids will sell it out of the estate but if they did they could all retire early.

09-22-2017 06:57 PM
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
for sure the drop in motorcycle sales has to do with snowflakes on their electronic gadgets just like motor homes and boats.
BTW and not to derail but for a laugh , this was yesterday morning .
i once had a 28 foot Chris Craft and now have a sun dolphin paddle boat and am so much happier .....

Attached File(s) Image(s)

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
09-22-2017 07:00 PM
Stichill Offline
Road Warrior

Northern Kentucky, USA
Despite my griping about the hassles of boat ownership...once you're actually out on the water, boating is great. This is Pappa Stichill at the helm with me in the First Mate's chair, about 17 years ago on Lac Vieux Desert in northern Wisconsin.

Pappa Stichill bought the one-year-old boat in 1966 from the original owner, who was being deployed to Vietnam.

I've kept the boat in my garage for 25 years, two states away from where he lives. The old man won't turn the title over to me, even though he can't even get in the boat anymore. It's been garaged it's whole life, and when cleaned up and waxed looks like it's almost new.

09-22-2017 07:14 PM
The ferret Online
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Did not know golf was taking a dump. That doesn't even make sense with all the boomers retiring lol. Wonder if anyone bowls anymore. It used to be on TV when I was a kid.. " King of TV Bowling". Every Sunday morning.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
09-22-2017 07:22 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
That is a very good story, Ferret. In . . .The ferret — 03:58 PM