Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Interesting conversation re: demographics
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
Interesting conversation re: demographics
Today I rode over to the business I retired from, to see all the folks, and got into an interesting conversation with one of the long time employees. His wife is in the Motorhome business in that she produces a magazine for an association of motorhome people. I asked him if they were seeing a down turn in motorhome sales, because the motorcycle industry was experiencing a crisis as motorcyclists are aging out and not buying as many bikes. I expected the same thing to be happening in that industry as well.

To my suprise he said the motorhome business, was actually experiencing a boom these days.

It made me think, are a lot of the older riders switching from riding motorcycles to touring by motorcoach? It sorta makes sense. If you no longer have the strength and stabilty to ride a bike, does a motorhome fill that itch to go someplace.

He said if you think guys farkle out Goldwings and Harleys you should see how they farkle out a motorhome.

Apparently millenials are not going into the motorhome group so they are not factoring into the growth, so the increasing numbers are coming from somewhere.. Are they coming from US?

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
09-20-2017 06:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
4 Paws Offline
High Mileage

MM 199 on BRP (Fancy Gap VA)
RE: Interesting conversation re: demographics
Quite a few motorhome companies reporting sales only limited by capacity. Consistent low fuel prices are an incentive.
Allure of a motorhome tempting. Barely resisted impulse to buy 2 years ago. Lots of small and inexpensive towables around. Teardrops a good start, Sylvan makes an interesting outfit that will carry a small dual sport.

Retire and hit the road for a couple of years! Had an aunt and uncle that retired to a houseboat for 5 years, my heroes.

Best thing I learned from my dog: “Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride". Dan D.
09-20-2017 07:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Retsel Offline
High Mileage

Pacifica
My wife and I are in the process of restoring a retro 1960, 14ft trailer. With 2 dogs, 2 birds, and the two us, its the only only way to get away together.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
09-20-2017 08:46 PM
use2b Offline
High Mileage

Perdido Key Florida
I had one for a few years and it set in the driveway like most of the rest in my neighborhood. motorcycles require no insurance and that thing did.
maintenance , roof leaks etc was a problem so i am glad it is gone.
have a 38' camper with super slide 40 miles from my home on a creek so a drive up there and couple days and nights is like a vacation for us.
Coyotes howling at night etc....
i hated being in heavy traffic with a motor home.

The best part about growing up in Florida is i didn't have to move here when i got old.
former owner of the baddest 2013 CB1100 ever ;] now a plush ride -2014 Goldwing Valkyrie GL1800C
09-21-2017 05:13 AM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
All the money and free time exists in the boomer 55+ demographic, and as we retire, we buy those things. Millenials are in their 20s and 30's now, they are not in the segment of their lives where a motorhome makes sense. It wasn't for us boomers either.

I'm thinking of one of those Sprinter conversions, but as more of a mile munching luxury van / bike hauler for the wife and I when I retire. Stay at hotels, though!

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
09-21-2017 06:59 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
RE: Interesting conversation demographics
Every year a group of our American friends come to Ottawa to run large scale trains. After retiring two of the couples sold their houses and bought large RVs. They spend the summer in the north and winter in the south. They like exploring new places and the friendly camping atmosphere when they stop for the night.

The cost of gas and insurance might be high for RVs, but probably not as much as two cars and home expenses: cable, electricity, natural gas, home improvements, insurance, internet, lawn care, maintenance, taxes, telephone, water, etc.

There is a program on TV called Extreme RVs. It features RVs that cost over 1 million dollars. If senior citizens are willing to spend that much money on RVs, there must something to this vagabond life style. Probably the same reason many of us ride: GET OUT THERE.

2017 CB1100 EX
(This post was last modified: 09-21-2017 07:12 AM by Nortoon.)
09-21-2017 07:11 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
RE: Interesting conversation demographics
(09-21-2017 06:59 AM)Capo Wrote:  All the money and free time exists in the boomer 55+ demographic, and as we retire, we buy those things. Millenials are in their 20s and 30's now, they are not in the segment of their lives where a motorhome makes sense. It wasn't for us boomers either.

I'm thinking of one of those Sprinter conversions, but as more of a mile munching luxury van / bike hauler for the wife and I when I retire. Stay at hotels, though!

My question is are RV attracting customers who would normally have bought a motorcycle?

I can hear the conversation now

HIM: I'm thinking about buying a new motorcycle. MAybe a trike since it's getting harder for me to hold them up.

HER: How much will a new bike cost?

HIM: well a Honda Goldwing, or BMW or Harley suitable for touring will run about 25 grand. IF I go the trike route we are looking at more like 40 grand.

HER: well if you buy an RV we can BOTH go and take the dogs and not have to worry about getting cold, or wet, stay out as long as we want, and just pull over and camp if we get tired of traveling, and never have to worry about finding a motel room.

And BAM , the motorcycle industry loses another customer

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
09-21-2017 07:37 AM
Capo Offline
High Mileage

Sea Girt, New Jersey USA
I don't think there's that much cross shopping a motorcycle vs RV. Perhaps if the person was not a motorcyclist throughout their lives. I had a friend in that vein and the wife convinced him to buy a Slingshot rather than a bike so she could ride next to him, and she wouldn't get on a motorcycle. I'd be conflicted at that point.

No more CB, but a GB.
Triumphs and Ducatis.
A Norton, MV, and Morini 175.
Probably others.
09-21-2017 07:53 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
It is easy to kick the motorcycle habit, just find something new that is more fun. I rode for 23 years and then switched to beer league sports.

After just four years of returning to motorcycling after a 25 year hiatus, I am now considering a Jeep. Wearing all the gear while everyone else is walking around in shorts and a T-shirt is a PITB. And I am already getting bored with riding the same twisty paved roads. But more on that later in another thread to be entitled Miss Piggy goes moto-crossing.

2017 CB1100 EX
09-21-2017 10:49 AM
postoak Offline
Running Like a Top

The Woodlands, Texas
I can't imagine someone who was too feeble to ride a bike deciding to buy a motor home. Driving a motor home sounds like a nightmare, to me.

2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
Candy Red
09-21-2017 02:16 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
That is a very good story, Ferret. In . . .The ferret — 03:58 PM
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition