Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Honda Exhaust Stock LOUDER
White Dog Offline
Running Like a Top

NC
RE: Honda Exhaust Stock LOUDER
After I put a Yoshi (with permanent baffle) on my '14 Standard, I happened to be at a vendor store and a young chick backed in beside me. Her bike sounded like an old pig with a bad cold. I immediately saw her muffler was also a Yoshi and said to her "You removed the baffle, right?" She laughed and said "How did you know?" I have since sold my Yoshi and reinstalled the stock, mostly to get the heat shield back.

2014 Standard, PS2 Shield, Corbin seat, luggage rack, Givi tail box.
08-26-2017 05:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bikesnboats Offline
Break-In Period

Roseburg ORBros.
At the risk of accelerating global warming or raising the ire of playground monitors everywhere, I've altered my DLX (#100) exhaust to sound less like a Honda Civic. Simply pull the stock slipons off and knock out the washer inside the tube on the end closest the catalytic converter. Better low and mid-range power with no ill effects noted. Results in a low rumble at idle and a quiet growl on acceleration that is overcome by the noise of the wind at about 60 mph. Way better than stock without being obnoxious! Result!!!
11-22-2017 10:27 PM
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
G'day and welcome bikesnboats. Sounds like a reasonably simple mod.
11-23-2017 12:20 AM
Guth Offline
Forum Founder

Portland, OR
I find it to be one of life's cruel ironies that as people get older and their sense of hearing begins to degrade they generally also tend to prefer more peace and quiet. (I believe this has something to do with our diminished ability to "separate the signal from the noise" as we age.) It's hard to pin down what exactly constitutes "loud" (or quiet for that matter) without some level of reference being applied such as how many decibels of sound pressure are being generated when measured from a certain distance.

I didn't really mind that the stock exhaust on my CB1100 was so quiet. It was the tone of the exhaust note that was less than satisfying to my ears. I resolved this by replacing the stock can with a Staintune slip-on. It's the nature of the exhaust note tone that is my primary concern (provided that the sound pressure levels produced are still considered reasonable).

I had an opportunity to obtain a really clean Supertrapp system for my Hawk GT for an amazing price so I bought it. The Supertrapp exhaust is interesting in that you can adjust the exhaust passage (along with making it louder or quieter) by adding or removing disks to the end of the can. Sadly perhaps, I never did bother to install it as I was actually quite happy with the exhaust note of the factory unit.

I certainly wouldn't consider either the factory exhaust on the Hawk GT or the Staintune on the CB1100 to be "loud" exhausts. But again, without some standardized point of reference for comparison, this probably doesn't mean all that much to the next guy (or the person who prefers the nearly silent nature of electric vehicles).

The Honda CB1100: STILL air-COOLed
Deposit placed 11/12/2012.
Received delivery 04/05/2013.
11-23-2017 02:41 AM
Django Offline
Road Warrior

Germany
(11-22-2017 10:27 PM)bikesnboats Wrote:  Simply pull the stock slipons off and knock out the washer inside the tube on the end closest the catalytic converter. Better low and mid-range power with no ill effects noted. Results in a low rumble at idle and a quiet growl on acceleration that is overcome by the noise of the wind at about 60 mph. Way better than stock without being obnoxious! Result!!!

Well, I believe you, that it's louder. However, as the stock exhaust is optimized for the EFI, I wouldn't think, your modification enhanced any power, rather it jeopardized the overall well designed powerdelivery.

Unless you provided real numbers of a dyno run, I guess, that's just wishful thinking. May be, it "sounds" more powerful...

Disclaimer: I'm a German and an engineer. Members of both groups are known, not to believe without a written evidence. Hello

73 Django -- [url=http://www.ironbutt.com]IBA[/url] #59882 -- [url=https://djangotours.wordpress.com]Django Tours[/url] -- [url=http://1asw.de/~rsz/bilder/ES-I64/15-34-0832.jpg]Django on CB1100[/url]
This message was signaled with a flashlight into the end of a fiber.
11-23-2017 03:14 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
jtopiso Offline
Running Like a Top

Spain
(11-23-2017 03:14 AM)Django Wrote:  
(11-22-2017 10:27 PM)bikesnboats Wrote:  Simply pull the stock slipons off and knock out the washer inside the tube on the end closest the catalytic converter. Better low and mid-range power with no ill effects noted. Results in a low rumble at idle and a quiet growl on acceleration that is overcome by the noise of the wind at about 60 mph. Way better than stock without being obnoxious! Result!!!

Well, I believe you, that it's louder. However, as the stock exhaust is optimized for the EFI, I wouldn't think, your modification enhanced any power, rather it jeopardized the overall well designed powerdelivery.

Unless you provided real numbers of a dyno run, I guess, that's just wishful thinking. May be, it "sounds" more powerful...

Disclaimer: I'm a German and an engineer. Members of both groups are known, not to believe without a written evidence. Hello

99% agreed, and I am not German.

The 1% of discrepancy is that I am sure that the original exhaust has been optimised, but the optimising criteria is always a trade-off of different factors and these might not be the same for everyone.

It's about the right trade-off between max power output, power delivery (driveability), noise, emissions, efficiency... and you can't be the best at all of them at the same time.

However, I will stay with what Honda has decided is best for this bike Smile
11-23-2017 03:37 AM
curlyjoe Offline
High Mileage

Massachusetts
These seem to be louder. Smile

2013 CB1100 ABS
2008 ST1300
11-23-2017 04:50 AM
2017EX Offline
Running Like a Top

U.S.A.
Back in the day, folks used to remove the baffles from their CB750 Fours, the fore runner to our current CB1100s, to get that louder exhaust note. It was a fairly popular practice, until an article came out in a motorcycle magazine cautioning against it, because the engines were designed to run with a certain amount of back pressure provided by the baffles. Of course those were pre ECM days. Now we have fuel injection, and engine performance is controlled by the ECM. When I had Vance & Hines aftermarket straight pipes with quiet baffles installed on my Harley, I had the ECM reprogrammed, tuned to that change in equipment, along with a Dyno, so that all the parts worked together correctly. I can also say that after riding a Harley with a moderately loud exhaust for the past 10 years before I got my CB, I dont think the pipes made me any more noticeable in traffic, unless the people in cars around me had their windows rolled down. As others have pointed out, car manufacturers have been on a mission for many years to make car cabins quiet, and exterior noise canceling. I can also say that I motored the Harley into my neighborhood slowly, so as not to annoy my neighbors, because we motorcyclists do not need any animosity from non cyclists. In fact, I think cyclists being viewed positively by non cyclists both on and off the road is in our best interests. So, for what it is worth, my take on the question is that I like the exhaust as is, and trust that the engineers at Honda designed it the way it is for good reasons. That said, if the exhaust is changed, from my experiences, the bike should be tuned for that change. Additionally, and for the same reasons, simply removing a baffle, or baffles is something I would not feel comfortable with.. To each his own, and these are just my thoughts on the question.
11-25-2017 04:42 PM
jedd Offline
Running Like a Top

Austin, TX
(08-14-2017 11:48 AM)james.jordan1173 Wrote:  Hello All.

New to the forum. So hello! out there!

Just bought my CB1100 and love it. However first mod is exhaust. It seems a bit quite and want to increase my presence on the road for safety.

Any mod suggestions to make the exhaust loud?

Thanks!

There's a video floating around comparing the 2014 to the 2017. Here's a few screen captures showing the cross section pipe (2014 bottom of pic, 2017, top of pic)

In either case, there's no easy way to access inside the center section of the exhaust to modify b/c it's all sealed up.

However, on the inlet end, there's a restrictor cone that exists for the 2014 pipe, but not on the 2017 exhaust. Honda simply deleted that cone restrictor part completely for the 2017 pipe.

So, imo, if one wants to increase sound on the 2014, the restrictor part at the inlet end is the part that, if deleted, or the blunt tip is modified/drilled out to open up for more flow, I'd bet the exhaust will sound more throaty and match closer to the 2017 bike.
11-30-2017 03:08 PM
lolly Offline
New To The Forum

usa
hi i have just change my muffler on my cb1100 2013 i got a emgo mat black some pipe 1 3/4 od
cut a v in the pipe set muffler on the bike wear i wanted it . bent the pipe with v in it to make the angle
i needed to get muffler tight welded pipe cut then ground down weld sliped pipe end in to muffler weld and ground smooth bent a steel bar for hanger using original location on bike then bent 1/8 steel bar to make bracket for center stand weld to pipe used clamp that came with muffler to attached to cb pipe
looks nice clean job would post photos but dont no how to on this site welded a small heat shield to pipe cost of $65 2 hours of my time think it turned out good nice sound put it on you tube this is link i hope https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5H0dLOzG7ck ps how do you put photos on hear
03-28-2018 04:32 PM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
Triumph Thruxton RS Final Edition
Interesting dilema, Mr. P... my vote wou . . .pdedse — 08:16 PM
The same bike not even broken in wit . . .Ollie — 08:09 PM