Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cam chain tensioner tool
Noleshot Offline
Break-In Period

Florida
Cam chain tensioner tool
[attachment=6651][attachment=6652][attachment=6650][attachment=6653]

I have found an easy way to make a tool to lock the cam chain tensioner as prescribed in the shop manual before checking valve clearances. The actual Honda tool is ridiculously expensive (or so I was told by the local service department).

The space available to work in is very tight, so the tool must be compact. All you need is a cheap, 5mm Allen wrench, like the kind that comes with assemble-yourself furniture, toys, etc. You need a bench grinder or files and a small pair of needle-nosed vice grips.

Looking at the diagram of the actual Honda tool, there is what appears to be a straight, screwdriver-like tip that engages a slot down inside the tensioner body. Take the Allen wrench and grind down the end of the short leg into a tip as shown. The overall length of the short leg with the tip should be 1". (The angle of the tip in relation to the wrench shouldn't matter)

Cut off the long leg of the wrench so that the tool is 1 1/4" long. See photos. The tool is 1 1/4" by 1" overall.

Remove the bolt and washer from the tensioner. You will need a long 8mm box-end wrench. There is an "X" shaped slot with a threaded bore in the center where the bolt screws in. Insert the slotted end of your new tool into the tensioner and rotate it slowly until you feel it engage the slot within. You can now turn the tool clockwise (tightening motion) and feel the small spring in the tensioner compress. It is approximately 1 full turn.

When it is compressed completely, carefully lock the vice grips onto the long leg of the tool, making sure the tool doesn't disengage. It may take a couple of tries. You should be able to find a position where the vice grips hold the tool securely as in the photo. If not, re-engage the tool 180 deg. from the 1st attempt.

For the record, I checked valve clearances at 7500 miles. All were at the middle of the clearance range, with one intake valve being slightly larger than the others, but still in spec. I was amazed and figure the factory was very careful adjusting the clearance initially. Obviously, 7500 miles of moderate usage had no effect on the clearances. To me, this testifies to the high build quality of the engine.
07-16-2017 04:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lord Popgun Offline
I find your lack of RLETs disturbing

Virginia Beach
RE: Cam chain tensioner tool
Pics didn't show Noleshot.

The part is called a Tensioner Stopper(in the service manual) and the US part number 07 AMG-001A100 is $105.23 at Partszilla. Also called a Holder tensioner. Seems like a lot of money for what is is.

For those interested, the non US part number is 070MG-0010100

If you come to a fork in the road, take it!
2013 CB1100
2012 ST1300
Holder of the CB1100Forum Secret Decoder Ring
(This post was last modified: 07-16-2017 04:44 AM by Lord Popgun.)
07-16-2017 04:44 AM
max Online
Road Warrior

Auckland New Zealand
RE: Cam chain tensioner tool
In addition of all this fine info there is more info about this tool that is easy to make yourself here;
http://cb1100forum.com/forum/showthread....#pid245987

Here is a screenshot from the youtube video with the info just in case the video is lost in the future;

It may be of interest to count the amount of turns it takes for the tool to come to a stop after it has unwound the cam chain tensioner and write it in the valve clearance notes because this provides some way of measuring the wear of the valve chain in a simple way.

sometimes i get lucky, and the more i practice the luckier i getCool
and; It's always something simple......just not always simple to find.
2020 cb1000r chromos red
2010 cb1100 candy red
2006 cb919 hornet black
1977 cb550 k3 1st owner
08-29-2019 08:05 AM

[-]
Forum Friends
Premium Exhausts & Unique Parts from Japan

[-]
Recent Posts
CB1100 Monthly Photo Challenge
Nah, just routine - catch, flip on back . . .Gone in 60 — 10:13 AM
Did you administer your cats a sleeping . . .peterbaron — 10:04 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my . . .Gone in 60 — 09:44 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
This explains why I liked the T32s then. . . .misterprofessionality — 08:52 AM
What did you do to/with your other bike?
Rode the Yami over to a friends bike sho . . .Charlie Bravo — 08:29 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my p . . .peterbaron — 05:38 AM
That's cool, Tev! Somehow, when my pho . . .Tev62 — 03:36 AM
Tire Options for our CB1100
You might like to play with the front pr . . .Tev62 — 03:09 AM

[-]
Statistics
» Members: 6,517
» Latest member: keedonald
» Forum threads: 15,974