Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
A GS1100 To Restore
Cormanus Offline

Queensland, Australia
RE: A GS1100 To Restore
redbirds, make it smell like a chip waggon if you can. The punters you ride past will never be quite sure what just happened. It's too funny.
01-24-2018 06:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
(01-23-2018 08:17 PM)Guth Wrote:  I'm still trying to decide if a car smelling like a chip wagon is a good thing or a bad thing.

Having a car smelling like a chip wagon would be very fattening. You set out to run a simple errand and end up stuffing you face with greasy fries, or worse poutine (fries with cheese curds and gravy).

In Canada, there are numerous Canadian Tire Stores. What started out as simple tire shops are now large stores offering car service, car parts, sporting goods, hardware, small appliances, etc. It is not uncommon to have a chip wagon on the corner of the parking lot. Nothing dumb about the management of these stores.

Ordinarily chip wagons are only open in the summer. It is often thought that the owners made so much money, they could spend their winters in Florida. But the ones on CTC parking lots are so prosperous, they are now open all year long.

2017 CB1100 EX
01-24-2018 09:26 AM
The ferret Offline
Forum Moderator

Ohio
chip is a french fry? or anything fried? Not familiar with the term. To me fish and chips is deep fried fish patties and french fries.

Defender of the Realm
2014 DLX (the pleasure horse)
2021 NC750X DCT (Angry Bird)
01-24-2018 09:34 AM
Nortoon Offline
High Mileage

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
(01-24-2018 09:34 AM)The ferret Wrote:  chip is a french fry? or anything fried? Not familiar with the term. To me fish and chips is deep fried fish patties and french fries.

Canadians and our British cousins call French fries "chips", as in fish and chips. We sprinkle white vinegar and salt on them.

Every chip wagon here has a bottle of vinegar with the rest of the condiments offered. Although Ketchup is now becoming more common because of the fast food chains.

Ogdensburg, NY is about 45 minutes from my home in Ottawa. Some of the restaurants there have learned to place vinegar on the table when their Canadian customers order French fries.

We don't get the "HUH?" reply as much when we ask for vinegar in Florida either. I guess they learned about the peculiar eating habits of the "Snow Geese". Big Grin

2017 CB1100 EX
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2018 10:18 AM by Nortoon.)
01-24-2018 10:17 AM
EmptySea Offline
Lives On Two Wheels

Chicagoland, USA
I like vinegar with my fries/chips. Guth may very well know what you meant by "chip" and "chip wagon" and was merely pondering if a vehicle smelling like french fries was bad or good. Then again, he probably had no clue whatsoever. Wink

There's a fairly famous drive-in near me called Superdawg. You eat in your car (generally) and order from a metal box with a speaker and microphone in it. Carhops (not on roller skates) bring your order to your car. Superdawg puts your meal in a small blue cardboard box which would include your entree (a hot dog or burger usually) and your fries. There's more that goes into the box and into the Superdawg experience, but the point here is that the blue box smells like what I imagine Nortoon describes as "the inside of a chip wagon".

When I was younger, but not very young, we would keep the blue Superdawg box when we finished our meal rather than leaving it for the carhop. After eating and usually this was late at night, we'd drive around looking for friends' cars which they may have unfortunately left unlocked. If we were lucky enough to find one, we would slide the Superdawg blue cardboard box under the seat. After a night-long steep, the car would smell like....well, the inside of a chip wagon, I think. We called this "Superdawging" a car and none of my friends from that era EVER leave their cars unlocked.

MTC

"If you can’t go home again, at least you can enjoy the ride” — Peter Egan

2013 CB1100 non-abs
2013 CB1100 abs
01-24-2018 10:34 AM
Ulvetanna Away
Road Warrior

USA
People who've done the conversion from diesel to used cooking oil emit that "French fry" smell from their tailpipes. Not many do it any more but for a while, one could encounter an old Mercedes diesel once in a while that would either smell like a Chinese restaurant or a MacDonald's. That's what I think of when y'all talk about a "chip wagon".

We call those roving lunch trucks a "Roach Coach" down this way. And they smell like tacos and fajitas.
01-24-2018 11:10 AM
LongRanger Offline
Been There

Evergreen, CO
My childhood friend's dad owned a fleet of Roach Coaches (politely referred to as Catering Trucks) along with a central commissary where they'd inventory, prepare and package most of the items sold on the trucks. He became a multi-millionaire from that business. He gave his son (my childhood friend) a shiny new Yamaha JT-2 Mini-Enduro for Christmas one year. To say I was a jealous twelve-year old would be the understatement of the century!

Ride more. Worry less. Tongue
‘12 BMW R1200R Classic
'15 BMW R1200RT
(This post was last modified: 01-24-2018 11:53 AM by LongRanger.)
01-24-2018 11:47 AM
redbirds Offline
Been There

Patterson, GA, USA
Found some nice pod filters for the GS Suzuki. Went on easy enough, now to get up some cash for the new headers and muffler.

1 Cor 13:4-7 (NIV)
4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
07-03-2018 10:57 AM
PowerDubs Offline
Road Warrior

NWNJ
A GS1100 To Restore
Noice.

Who gets the joy of tuning the carbs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

104whp / 75wtq ... for now.
07-03-2018 11:24 AM